The Animus Speculum is a unique battle-helm that is the Culexus Assassin's primary tool, as well as the apparatus by which these operatives of the Officio Assassinorum control their anti-psyker aura. Packed with sensors and techno-arcane circuitry designed to enhance and help control the Assassin's gifts, the Animus Speculum is an elongated helmet with a stylised skull-shaped faceplate. A bulky apparatus that appears to be an Auspex array is connected to each side of the helmet via thick cables.
The entire helmet is designed to look as monstrous as possible to strike fear into the hearts of the Assassin's enemies. The helmet also acts as a rebreather, and has a sophisticated built-in Auspex system that mimics the abilities of an Omniscope. Along with these systems, the Animus Speculum possesses other notable functions, including:
- Psyocculum - The built-in Psyocculum allows the Assassin to clearly see individuals and objects obscured by psychic powers.
- Arcane Eye - The Animus Speculum enables the Culexus Assassin to focus his or her potent negative psychic energy through a single eye that is emitted as powerful beam at the Assassin's will. Such a blast is capable of burning out a target's brain. While lethal to anyone, it inflicts particularly terrible damage on psykers, daemons and psychically-active creatures, whose psychic defences crumble quickly before its onslaught. The Arcane Eye of the Animus Speculum can also draw power from nearby psykers who use the Warp as a power source. The weapon also serves as a form of psychic restraint, dampening the Culexus' own negative psychic aura and preventing it from affecting any nearby allies as strongly.
- Assassinorum Executioner Force: Rulebook (7th Edition), pg. 31
- Codex: Assassins (3rd Edition), pg. 5
- Codex: Assassins (2nd Edition), pp. 20-23
- Codex: Grey Knights (5th Edition), pg. 52
- Codex: Necrons (3rd Edition), pg. 8
- Rogue Trader: The Navis Primer (RPG), pg. 116
- Nemesis (Novel) by James Swallow