Asmodai is a Master Interrogator-Chaplain of the Dark Angels Chapter of Space Marines. Also known as the Master of Repentance, Asmodai is at present the oldest and most successful Interrogator-Chaplain within the ranks of the Dark Angels. He is totally single-minded in his determination to force any of the Fallen Angels that come into his hands to repent. During his long career, he has only been able to make two Fallen repent of their sins. But those that fall into his capable hands cannot resist his finely honed and wicked craft, for it is said that his enemies would rather die than fall into his clutches. Asmodai is rumoured to be able to horrifically torture a victim for weeks, keeping them alive to suffer the unspeakable torments of his brutal ministrations.
Brutal, uncompromising and succinct, Brother Asmodai is the most sinister of the Dark Angels and is the Chapter's oldest and most successful Interrogator-Chaplain. Asmodai does not suffer fools, nor does he tolerate idleness of mind or spirit. The older he gets, the more his obsession grows. Asmodai has become the living embodiment of duty, openly disdaining all that does not pertain to battle, the goals of the Chapter, and ultimately, to the secret hunt for the Fallen that drives him. Whether on the field of battle, at council with the Inner Circle, or in the dungeons of The Rock administering to one of the heretical Fallen, or anyone that possesses an iota of information about them, Asmodai is a merciless bringer of death, a true Dark Angel.
Asmodai's relentless nature and single-minded pursuit of the Fallen balances on the border of what is defensible. Though Brother Asmodai's determination to force the Fallen that fall into his clutches to speak their secrets has aided the Chapter's most crucial and secret mission immeasurably, more than once Supreme Grand Master Azrael has been forced to censure Asmodai's demands, counteract his orders or cover up some of the Master Interrogator-Chaplain's more flagrant excesses. No other Dark Angel exemplifies the maxim "the end justifies the means" more than Asmodai, for in his unquenchable obsession, he is willing to sacrifice anything or anyone to capture another of the Fallen, and there is no boundary he will not cross to add another black pearl to his Rosarius.
One of Asmodai's more infamous actions include the order to slaughter all new recruits from the planet Narcium because their lacklustre answers to his questions raised the fear of gene-stock contamination. It was also Asmodai who, upon hearing the frivolity of laughter in the halls of The Rock, placed the Penance of Silence upon the 7th Company for a standard Terran year. The company was unable to utter a sound save for hymnals and in-battle communications. However, such ardent discipline has its uses. Like any Adeptus Astartes Chaplain, Asmodai chants the Liturgies of Battle, preaching the purity of hate to help each Dark Angel focus his rage and become a killing machine. In combat, Asmodai further exemplifies his zeal, inciting the fighting spirits of his Battle-Brothers to a fever pitch. It was Asmodai who led the forlorn hope to break into the Traitor of Rhun's palace and who inspired the impressive stand when his forces were isolated on the Daemon World of Amity. Across countless battlefields, his reputation alone has struck fear into the hearts of the most hardened foes. With his matchless determination and will of iron, Asmodai ensures the Deathwing's mission is always completed.
- Power Armour
- Crozius Arcanum - The Crozius Arcanum is the sacred rod of office carried by all Space Marine Chaplains. Within the Crozius Arcanum is a gravitic generator that produces a powerful energy field capable of disrupting matter in the same manner as a Power Weapon. Chaplains are powerful warriors, and the blows struck with a Crozius Arcanum can overwhelm nearly any defence.
- Rosarius - A Rosarius is a gorget or amulet worn by Space Marine Chaplains which traditionally bears the symbol of the Imperial Aquila or Crux Terminatus and is the Chaplain's "soul armour" bestowed upon him by the Ecclesiarchy of Terra.
- Skull Helm - One of the most iconic elements of a Chaplain’s wargear is his macabre skull helm, a stern visage that depicts the face of the Emperor mordant upon the Golden Throne, evoking the Emperor's wrath. These helms may take many different forms and have been crafted by numerous Space Marine artificers across the galaxy. Universally, however, they are all fearsome in aspect.
- Sacred Standards - Interrogator-Chaplains are the custodians of the Dark Angels Chapter's holy relics, including such sacred standards as the Standard of Fortitude, the Standard of Devastation, and the Standard of Retribution.
- Bolt Pistol or Plasma Pistol
- Frag Grenades
- Krak Grenades
- Blades of Reason - Asmodai uses an ancient and horrific device known as the Blades of Reason that looks like a knife with many sharply-honed and polished blades. Etched into the blades are numerous extremely fine neural-wires which inflict agonising pain on any nerve fibres they cut through. With this archaic weapon of torture, Asmodai attempts to extract confessions from captured Fallen Angels during interrogations in an attempt to save the doomed prisoner's soul through his expert and painful ministrations.
- Codex: Dark Angels (6th Edition), pg. 55
- Codex: Dark Angels (4th Edition), pp. 37, 80
- Codex: Dark Angels (3rd Edition), pp. 7, 20
- Codex: Angels of Death (2nd Edition), pp. 15, 26, 35, 41, 72, 82
- Index Astartes II, "For the Emperor - Space Marne Chaplains", p. 59
- White Dwarf 266 (UK), "Angels of Death"
- White Dwarf 227 (US), "Chapter Approved - Space Marines: Dark Angels, Asmodai, Interrogator-Chaplain", pp. 73-80
- White Dwarf 208 (US), "Faith and Vengeance: Space Marine Chaplain Background and Tactics - Interrogator-Chaplains: Dark Angels", pp. 78-86