The Imperium of Man is the galaxy-spanning interstellar empire which rules over the vast majority of the Human race in the late 41st Millennium AD. The founder and immortal ruler of the Imperium is the Emperor of Mankind, the God-Emperor of a million worlds who is the most powerful human psyker ever born. Founding the Imperium over ten thousand standard years ago during the Great Crusade era of the late 30th Millennium AD, the Emperor has been physically imprisoned within the Golden Throne on Terra since He was horribly wounded and disfigured during the great galactic civil war with his wayward son Horus. The Emperor rules the Imperium in name and His presence in the Warp allows interstellar travel through the maintenance of the psychic beacon known as the Astronomican. His ascended form in the Warp is also believed to keep the worst aspects of Chaos at bay. As the Emperor can no longer communicate directly with His subjects, the day-to-day governance of the realm is carried out by the council of Imperial nobles known as the High Lords of Terra. Today, the Imperium is a realm very different from the golden rule of prosperity, scientific wonder and freedom promised by the Emperor ten millennia ago. The Imperium in His absence has degenerated into a despotic, tyrannical regime defined by ignorance, fear and superstition.
The Imperial GovernmentEdit
- Emperor of Mankind - The God-Emperor and Master of Mankind.
- The Primarchs - The twenty transhuman gene-sons of the Emperor who once led His armies in the Great Crusade and ruled the Imperium alongside him before the Horus Heresy. One by one they were either turned to the service of Chaos, were slain, or otherwise incapicitated over ten thousand years ago.
- Lord Commander of the Imperium - The Lord Commander of the Imperium is a singular and unique rank held by the individual who serves as the first among equals in the Imperium of Man's ruling oligarchy, governing Humanity in the name of the Emperor of Mankind. It has been held only a few times in the Imperium's history, in the first case in the centuries after the end of the Horus Heresy in the early 31st Millennium and most recently again after the Terran Crusade of 999.M41.
- Senatorum Imperialis (High Lords of Terra) - The ruling council of the Imperium.
- Adeptus Terra - The Adeptus Terra, also known as the Priesthood of Earth, is the central bureaucratic governmental organisation of the Imperium of Man and not really an agency itself. It is made up of many autonomous departments that receive the orders of the High Lords of Terra, passing them down to the different branches that will enact the commands.
The Adeptus TerraEdit
- Adeptus Administratum - The Adeptus Administratum is the administrative and bureaucratic division of the Adeptus Terra, the heart of the gigantic bureaucracy that controls the government of the Imperium of Man, consisting of untold billions of clerks, scribes and administrative staff constantly working to manage the Imperium at every level, from assembling war fleets to levying taxes.
- Adeptus Astra Telepathica - The Adeptus Astra Telepathica is responsible for the recruitment and training of psykers in the service of the Imperium of Man. The Adeptus Astra Telepathica trains the majority of Imperial psykers, who become known as Sanctioned Psykers.
- Adeptus Astronomica - The Adeptus Astronomica has the duty of maintaining the Astronomican for the Imperium of Man, the psychic beacon in the Warp directed by the mind of the Emperor that provides guidance for the mutant Navigators that pilot all Imperial starships in the galaxy.
- Adeptus Arbites - The Adeptus Arbites is the Imperial Adepta that serves as the galactic police force of the Imperium of Man, responsible for enforcing Imperial Law (the Lex Imperialis) on all Imperial-controlled worlds. They have been granted the right by the High Lords of Terra to serve as judge, jury and executioner to any Imperial citizen they discover having broken Imperial law and the concept of due process is not one that generally applies in the Imperium. However, in those cases where Imperial law is unclear or the law breaker has committed a truly heinous deed or is of unusually high-ranking stature, the offended will be taken back to an Arbites Precinct House for judgement by an Arbites Judge, the sentence to be carried out immediately. Imperial justice is swift and sure, but not always just.
- Adeptus Custodes - These superhuman warriors, even more deadly than the Space Marines, serve as the Emperor's Honour Guard and the security force for the Imperial Palace on Terra.
- Adeptus Mechanicus - The Adeptus Mechanicus is the official Imperial name within the Adeptus Terra for the Cult Mechanicus or Cult of the Machine. Also known as the Priesthood of Mars after the world of their origin, they provide the technical and scientific experts of the Imperium that build most of its advanced technology on their autonomous Forge Worlds and field armies of massive Titans, Mechanicus Electro-priests, Skitarii and combat Servitors.
- Departmento Munitorum - The Departmento Munitorum, also called the Adeptus Munitorum, is a department or sub-division of the Adeptus Administratum devoted to the general administration, personnel assignment, supply and logistics of the Astra Militarum (Imperial Guard).
- Imperial Fleet - The Imperial Fleet is responsible for all forms of human interstellar travel, military or commercial, and also controls every human starshipo in existence, though it is further divided into different factions, including the warfleets of the Imperial Navy, the Merchant Fleets and the Civil Fleets. The Navis Nobilite also fall under its administration.
- Officio Assassinorum - The Officio Assassinorum is a highly secretive agency of the Imperium of Man's government that employs different "temples" that train human Assassins to further the goals and protect the security of the Imperium of Man.
- Officio Sabatorum - The Officio Sabatorum is one of the Adepta Minoris that exists within the organisational structure of the Adeptus Terra. Agents of this particular organisation are adept at sabotage and the destruction of designated property ("hard targets") rather than the elimination of specified targets ("soft targets"). They are also highly adept in the art of terrorism, committing violent or brutal acts which are intended to create fear, deliberately targeting or disregarding the safety of civilians.
- Planetary Governors - The leader of an Imperial world is known as a Planetary Governor or sometimes as an Imperial Governor, and is considered an Imperial Commander in military matters. Regardless of his or her title, a Planetary Governor is an individual with the (often hereditary) authority to rule a world or even an entire star system in the Emperor's name.
- Navis Nobilite - The Navis Nobilite is an ancient organisation of mutant Terran nobility predating even the creation of the Imperium of Man by several thousand standard years. It is comprised of noble families who are all human mutants called Navigators who have the unique psychic ability to navigate spacecraft through long distances in the chaotic transdimensional eddies of the Warp.
- Templars Psykologis - Little is known of this obscure Imperial organisation or its designated function in public Imperial records, but it can be assumed that the Templars serve as the Imperium's primary military intelligence and psychological warfare branch.
Other Imperial OrganisationsEdit
- Adeptus Ministorum - The Adeptus Ministorum, more commonly known as the Ecclesiarchy, is the official state church of the Imperium of Man, which maintains and promotes the worship of the Emperor of Mankind as the one, true God of Humanity. It is one of the most powerful organisations in the human-settled galaxy.
- Inquisition - The Inquisition (The Holy Orders of the Emperor's Inquisition) is a secret organisation that exists outside the standard administrative hierarchy of the Imperium of Man. The Inquisition acts as the secret police force of the Imperium, hunting down any and all of the myriad threats to the stability of the God-Emperor's realm, from internal corruption, to assaults from vicious alien species.
Imperial Military ForcesEdit
- Adeptus Astartes (Space Marines)
- Astra Militarum (Imperial Guard)
- Ordo Tempestus (of which the Tempestus Scions Regiments are part)
- Imperial Navy
- Collegia Titanica
- Imperial Knights
- Legio Cybernetica
- Adepta Sororitas (Sisters of Battle)
- Adeptus Custodes
- Sisters of Silence
Other Articles of NoteEdit
- Milky Way Galaxy
- Imperial Dating System
- High Gothic
- Low Gothic
- Planets of Warhammer 40,000
|Space Marines • Adeptus Mechanicus • Chaos • Eldar • Dark Eldar • Orks • Tyranids • Necrons • Tau • Inquisition • Astra Militarum (Imperial Guard)|
|This is a very large category!|
| To see more of it, click the links below for specific letters, or click the "Next" (or "Prev") links.|
Also note that subcategories are sorted alongside articles, so not all subcategories are visible on the first page.
This category has the following 23 subcategories, out of 23 total.
Pages in category "Imperium"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 2,331 total.(previous 200) (next 200)