Choppa is a term applied to a multitude of basic Ork close-combat weapons. This category of weapon consists of a bewildering variety of bladed, spiked, serrated, jagged, barbed, and notched hand weapons, ranging from the proverbial blunt instrument to whirring two-handed, Ork-tooth Chainaxes known as Big Choppas.
Choppas are a general term given to any Ork close combat weapon, typically heavy swords and axes. Slugga Boyz are always armed with a Slugga and Choppa, at least until they save up enough teef to buy something better, like a Shoota. There is little finesse to a Choppa, as most are little more than sharpened pieces of scrap metal which have been roughly shaped into something resembling a sword or axe. There are, however, more advanced choppas, often taking the form of a crude Chainsword.
Enormous axes with jagged metal teeth, Big Choppas are chosen more for their sheer weight than subtlety. A Big Choppa is a two-handed weapon, often wielded by Ork Nobz and Warbosses. Some Big Choppas are even outfitted with whirring chainsaw blades or circular saws instead of a standard axe blade.
- Codex: Orks (4th Edition), pg. 89
- Dark Heresy: Creatures Anathema (RPG), pp. 102-103
- Gorkamorka: Da Roolz (2nd Edition), pg. 53
- Rogue Trader: The Koronus Bestiary (RPG), pg. 69
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution (PC Game)
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (PC Game)