A Dark Angels Company Master is the Dark Angels Chapter's equivalent of a standard Space Marine Captain. All of the Company Masters of the Dark Angels are members of the Chapter's secretive Inner Circle and are privy to many, but not all, of the secrets these descendants of the I Legion hold dear. Most of the Dark Angels' Successor Chapters, collectively known as the Unforgiven, also make use of this archaic title and structure for their own company officers, though not all.
A Company Master of the Dark Angels is equivalent to the standard Space Marine Captain of other, Codex Astartes-compliant Chapters. A Company Master leads each of the 10 companies of the Dark Angels and ultimately falls under the command of the Chapter's Supreme Grand Master (Chapter Master). Every Master within the Chapter serves as a member of the Inner Circle, although even at this rank he is not privy to the entire truth surrounding the Chapter's dark past or all of the Chapter's many secrets.
To lead the Dark Angels requires a battle-hardened Veteran, a dedicated warrior who has proven his prowess and Chapter loyalty a thousand times over. Such heroes advance into the fabled Deathwing, the 1st Company, but in order to be considered for command, a Space Marine must distinguish himself yet further. Only those who show superlative leadership and tactical skills, and who prove themselves to be absolutely reliable in pursuit of the Chapter's goals, are considered for promotion to officer rank. The Dark Angels do not call their officers by the typical Astartes designation of Captain, preferring instead to retain the old title used millennia ago by The Order of Company Master. Each Company Master bears additional honorific titles, reflective of his solemn duties within the Chapter.
All Dark Angels are taciturn and monastic in nature, and these traits are exemplified by the Company Masters. They shun highly visible, diplomatic roles, avoiding even well-deserved battle laurels and the adulation of their brethren. Where the lauded Captains of other Space Marine Chapters deliver rousing speeches to Imperial coalition forces allied with the Adeptus Astartes, the leaders of the Dark Angels are shadowy figures, more comfortable in cowled seclusion than at the forefront, acting as a skilled orator. Yet for all their silent reservations, Company Masters are no less commanding, though perhaps their grim silence makes them more menacing.
With a signal, a Company Master launches the Astartes under his command into action. None can claim to be more disciplined than the Dark Angels; a single barked order can start any number of flawlessly executed manoeuvres. Almost soundlessly, attack plans are orchestrated and fire support coordinated. A Company Master meets each challenge with the same intractable resolve. Such officers are not only superb strategists, but also the most skilled of combatants. Armed with the finest wargear drawn from The Rock's armoury, and with relics maintained since the dawn of the Imperium, a Company Master can cleave through alien hordes or cut down even the mightiest foe in pursuit of a personal challenge.
As part of the Inner Circle, a Company Master may join his 1st Company brethren in battle, donning his Terminator Armour and leading one of the most feared combat formations in the galaxy. However, they are most assured in the midst of their own troops, leading their company to victory in the name of the Emperor and the Lion of Caliban. The Company Masters know that they and their Battle-Brothers are descended from the I Legion, the first of the Emperor's Space Marines to be created, and are the favoured Sons of the Lion. They know theirs is a heavy responsibility, for it is their role to both uphold the honour of the Dark Angels, while at the same time seeking to exorcise the secret sins of the ancient past. Only on their orders will the Chapter attain victories, and through them, final redemption.
- Power Armour
- Artificer Armour (Optional)
- Terminator Armour (Indomitus or Cataphractii Pattern Terminator Armour) (Optional for service with the Deathwing)
- Storm Shield (Optional replacement for Chainsword)
- Bolt Pistol
- Master-crafted Bolter
- Storm Bolter (Optional when in Terminator Armour)
- Wrist-mounted Grenade Launcher (when in Terminator Amrmour)
- Chainfist (Optional when in Terminator Armour)
- Power Sword (Optional replacement for Chainsword)
- Relic Blade (Optional replacement for Chainsword)
- Iron Halo
- Frag Grenades
- Krak Grenades
- May replace any ranged weapon with another
- May replace any melee weapon with another
- May use one Chapter relic
- May use a Perfidious Relic of the Unforgiven
- Mark X Tacticus Power Armour
- Bolt Pistol
- Master-crafted Auto Bolt Rifle
- Master-crafted Stalker Bolt Rifle (As replacement for Auto Bolt Rifle)
- Power Sword (Optional)
- Power Fist (As replacement for Bolt Pistol and Auto Bolt Rifle)
- Plasma Pistol (As replacement for Bolt Pistol and Auto Bolt Rifle)
- Frag Grenades
- Krak Grenades
Primaris Master in Gravis ArmourEdit
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels (8th Edition), pp. 34, 85-87
- Codex: Dark Angels (7th Edition), pp. 25, 37
- Codex: Dark Angels (6th Edition), pp. 42, 144