Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "A Devastator's reach shall be without limit and his touch without mercy. Fire shall roar from his fingertips, but it shall consume him not. Thunder will roar when he calls, yet it will swallow him not. Let the Devastator squad be thy blazing wrath, bringing the light of the Emperor's justice to the darkest corners of the battlefield. Wherever he stands, that shall be his fortress of righteousness. He shall hold in his gift the fate of all who pass before his unblinking gaze. All shall fear him, and he shall fear no one."
- — Roboute Guilliman, from the Apocrypha of Skaros
Devastator Marines are Space Marines who serve in a Codex Astartes-compliant Space Marine Chapter's Devastator Squads. A Devastator Squad consists of a Sergeant and up to nine Battle-Brothers, of whom four of which are designated as Heavy Weapons Support. The Sergeant will be a Space Marine who has received extra training to equip him for his leadership role. Devastator Sergeants are also experts with all types of Space Marine Heavy Weapons, although they prefer to fight with the standard Sergeant's weapons of a Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, or other melee weapon. Their expertise means that a Sergeant can get the maximum tactical advantage from the weaponry he has at his disposal. Space Marines rely on the tactical acumen of individual Sergeants to avoid the need for complex command structures and communications networks.
The ten Battle-Brothers of a Devastator Squad fall into two groups. The first of these are the Heavy Weapons troopers. There may be as many as four Heavy Weapons troopers in a Devastator Squad, and these Marines can be armed with Heavy Bolters, Missile Launchers, Lascannons, Multi-Meltas or Plasma Cannons. These awesome weapons provide the squad with a host of potential deployments and tactical uses. Invariably, Devastator Squads are most commonly used to counter enemy armour or to penetrate defence points, and also to provide fire support for infantry advances or pin the enemy down with suppressive fire.
Some of the Battle-Brothers in a Devastator Squad may have fought enough battles to earn Veteran status. These Marines may continue to serve with the Squad for a short time, but eventually they will be offered special duties elsewhere (such as in a Command Squad), or promoted to serve in the Chapter's elite First Company, which is comprised of Marines with Veteran status. In this way, the ranks of the Chapter's elite company are replenished. Veteran Battle-Brothers wear white helmets, while Veteran Sergeants wear a white-striped red helmet. Following their tour of duty as Devastators, Space Marines typically join the ranks of the Assault Marines.
Devastator Squads have access to more types of Heavy Weapons than most other Space Marine Squad types. In addition to Heavy Bolters, Lascannons and Missile Launchers, Devastator Marines can also field more exotic weapons such as Multi-Meltas and Plasma Cannons. The latter weapon fires balls of superheated plasma that explode on impact, making them exceptionally potent against multiple targets. The Multi-Melta is a short-range anti-tank weapon, its thermal blast able to melt through even the toughest armour. Missile Launchers wielded by Devastator Marines can fire two different kinds of missiles. Frag Missiles provide effective fire against enemy infantry, while Krak Missiles are more useful against armoured targets. Both of these missiles are relatively small, and a Devastator Marine can easily carry sufficient numbers of both types to take full advantage of a Missile Launcher's potential dual tactical use in a battle.
Devastator Marine Wargear
- Power Armour
- Bolt Pistol or Bolter
- Heavy Bolter
- Frag Grenades and Krak Grenades
- Signum (Sergeant only)
Optional Wargear, Sergeants Only
- Combi-melta, -flamer or -plasma
- Storm Bolter
- Plasma Pistol
- Power Weapons
- Power Fist
- Melta Bombs
- Codex: Blood Angels (5th Edition), pp. 26, 95
- Codex: Dark Angels (4th Edition), pp. 25, 86
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pp. 61, 142
- Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition), pg. 38
- Codex: Space Wolves (5th Edition), pp. 28, 92
- Deathwatch: Core Rulebook (RPG), pp. 76-78
- Insignium Astartes, pp. 22-23