The Endeavour-class Light Cruiser is one of the smallest classes of Light Cruiser in the Imperial Navy, though it is also one of the slowest due to its large array of heavy armament, giving it an offensive punch above what its tonnage would suggest.
A design first manufactured in the orbital shipyards of the famed Voss Forge World, the Endeavour-class Light Cruiser has a markedly different mission profile from the far more common Dauntless-class Light Cruiser. Given its relatively slow speed and heavier armour, the Endeavour is typically used as a stop-gap ship of the line, convoy flagship or Battleship Escort in large, set-piece naval battles. The captains of Endeavour-class vessels must be careful not to bite off more than they can chew, for the ship lacks the firepower of a true Cruiser, yet often finds itself in confrontations better suited to vessels of that type. Several Endeavours serve in the Imperial Navy's Battlefleet Calixis that protects the Calixis Sector, as there is proportionately less need for true ships of the line; many routine patrols in that Sector and others consist of an Endeavour accompanied by a pair of Frigates.
The Endeavour-class, lacking the speed for anti-pirate operations, is preferred as a convoy flagship or a heavy Escort to larger capital ships of the line. Its heavy gun batteries can almost match the firepower of larger, true Cruisers and it is capable of holding its own in the midst of a pitched battle. Many Endeavour-class Light Cruisers were sent to Battlefleet Armageddon during the latest Ork invasion of that strategic Hive World in 998.M41, where, during fighting against Ork vessels, the Endeavour’s relative slow speed for its class was not found to be a hindrance. The Endeavour, and its sister vessels, became a staple of Battlefleet Armageddon as replacements for ships lost to the Greenskins.
Notable Endeavour-class Light CruisersEdit
- Leonid - Fought against the massive Ork fleet during the Third War for Armageddon
- Sacrament of Judgement - Once, the name of the Sacrament of Judgement proudly adorned the victory banners hanging in the chambers of Port Wrath. Now, the name has been struck from all rolls of honour, obscured with the smeared ashes of martyred Navy bosuns. The Sacrament of Judgement committed a naval vessel’s vilest sin—mutiny. Until such time as the venerable Lord-Captains of Battlefleet Calixis can consign the mutinous Sabina Alsunet and her renegades to the void and bring the ship back to Port Wrath under a prize crew, her name can only be spoken as a curse. While part of Battlefleet Calixis, the Sacrament of Judgement served as a long range escort and patrol vessel; a perfect task for an Endeavour-class light cruiser.
- Sanctis Legate - Fought against the massive Ork fleet during the Third War for Armageddon
- Sword of Voss - Fought against the massive Ork fleet during the Third War for Armageddon
- Hull: Light Cruiser.
- Class: Endeavour-class Light Cruiser.
- Dimensions: 3.8 kilometres long, 0.5 kilometres wide.
- Mass: Approximately 22 Megatonnes.
- Crew: Approximately 67,500 crew.
- Acceleration: 3.9 gravities maximum sustainable acceleration.
- Battlefleet Gothic Armada, pg. 18
- Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus (RPG), pg. 26
- Rogue Trader: Twilight Crusade (RPG), pg. 117