The Farsight Enclaves are a series of fortified Tau colony worlds that are independent and indeed opposed to the rule of the Tau Empire. They are led or ruled by the legendary Tau Fire Caste Commander Farsight and lie within the Damocles Gulf region of the Segmentum Ultima in the Eastern Fringe of the Milky Way Galaxy.
The Tau Empire launches many probes towards the Forbidden Zone, the cluster of star systems beyond the far side of the Damocles Gulf- although few have ever returned. The strange eddies and unreadable energies that drift in that region doubtlessly damage or reroute a portion of those lost probes, but many more are destroyed by orbital defence stations that blockade all entry, save only for their own ships. Beyond that formidable ring of floating fortresses are the Farsight Enclaves. Scans from those few probes to successfully beam back signals reveal a string of heavily built-up worlds with large populations, including nodal cities expanded from colony domes and entire moonbases converted to manufacturing.
In the aftermath of the Imperium of Man's abortive Damocles Gulf Crusade in 742.M41, a Tau Fire Caste Commander, Shas'o Viorla Shovah Kais Montyr (better known to Imperials as Commander Farsight), led a Tau expeditionary force which broke away from the main Tau Empire and established a series of fortified Tau colonies at the far side of the Damocles Gulf. The underlying reason for the split has intrigued certain (admittedly obscure) scholar-adepts in the Imperium for centuries. As more information has come to light the actions of Commander Farsight have become the source of grave concern for certain members of the Inquisition who perceive a distinct threat to the Divine Rule of the Emperor of Mankind.
When last seen trailing the Orks, Fanight's Coalition bore the symbols of their septs - predominately Vior'la, but also Sa'cea, Tau'n and several others. When sighted generations later, these forces and fleets bore markings similar in design to those used by the Tau Empire, but in colours and patterns never sanctioned. Like any distant colony, much of the equipment and armour used by those within the Farsight Enclaves is slightly dated - the equipment most prevalent at the time of Farsight's disappearance. There has been, however, unsettling evidence of classified technology and recent prototypes present within the Enclaves. Time will tell whether this is the result of spycraft, theft or traitors to the Greater Good who have been aiding those within Farsight's domain.
Despite the Tau Empires efforts to rewrite history - either avoiding mention of the fallen hero or painting him as a cowardly deserter - there is still support for Farsight amongst the existing septs. Many in the Fire Caste, especially those from Vior'la, maintain the image of O'Shovah as a trailblazer, although none dare show such dissent openly in the presence of an Ethereal. The Ethereal High Council has forbidden all travel and communications to that sector of the galactic west. Special councils, composed of Ethereals and auxiliary guards, are dispatched to question any who are rumoured to have contacts or sympathies with the Farsight Enclaves. Few who are questioned are seen again. On the rare occasions when warriors bearing the distinctive red armour and markings from the Enclaves are seen within the Tau Empire, the Ethereal High Council have issued high mobilisation, although there have yet to be any confrontations.
- The Damocles Crusade (742.M41) - The Tau Empire comes under attack by an armada of the Imperium's warships on a crusade to reclaim their long-neglected territory. It is a bloody campaign, which is finally stymied at Dal'yth Prime. The retreat of Imperial forces marks the end of the Second Sphere Expansion.
- Rogue Commander (760.M41) - Following the Damocles Crusade, Commander Farsight recaptures much of the lost territory. However, the famed Commander defies orders to return, instead establishing a string of fortified planets known as the Farsight Enclaves.
- Defence of the Farsight Enclaves (525.997.M41) - With his spearhead of eighty XV8 Crisis Teams, Commander Farsight leads a counter-attack against a tendril of Hive Fleet Kraken that has entered his territory.
Farsight Enclaves Information
- Enclaves Markings: Bone White
- Uniform Variations: Dark red, black
- Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition), pp. 29, 57
- Codex: Tau Empire (4th Edition), pp. 10, 13-14
- Codex: Tau (3rd Edition), pp. 50-51