Grey Ceramite (Unpainted)
- "Fire sputters...The shame of our deaths and our heresies is done. They are behind us, like wretched phantoms. This is a new age, a strong age, an age of Imperium. Despite our losses, despite the fallen sons, despite the eternal silence of the Emperor, now watching over us in spirit instead of in person, we will endure. There will be no more war on such a perilous scale. There will be an end to wanton destruction. Yes, foes will come and enemies will arise. Our security will be threatened, but we will be ready, our mighty fists raised. There will be no great war to challenge us now. We will not be brought to the brink like that again..."
- — Oriax Dantalion, First Chapter Master of the Fists Exemplar Chapter
The Fists Exemplar are a Second Founding Successor Chapter of Imperial Fists lineage. This Chapter was initially composed of the more progressive Imperial Fists Legionaries, who agreed with the views of Roboute Guilliman, the Primarch of the Ultramarines, that it was necessary for the Legiones Astartes to be broken down into smaller existing formations, known as Chapters, following the disastrous and costly Horus Heresy. Never again, would one individual wield the power of a Space Marine Legion. It was Captain Oriax Dantalion who wisely counseled Primarch Rogal Dorn on the need for such drastic measures. Though he initially disagreed with the Captain's opposing viewpoints, he eventually relented, and agreed to have his Legion broken into separate Chapters. Captain Dantalion was chosen to become the first Chapter Master of one of these newly created Chapters, and deemed the new Chapter Master and those that followed him, as exemplars of a new order, and so, the Primarch named this new Chapter the Fists Exemplar.
Following the dark days of the Horus Heresy, Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultramarines Legion, presented his magnum ops -- the Codex Astartes - a great and sacred tome of military organisation, strategy and tactics. He had also proposed that the existing formation of the Legiones Astartes would be broken down into smaller, autonomous formations, known as Chapters. While many Primarchs welcomed the Codex Astartes, Rogal Dorn initially refused to have his Legion sundered. Fortunately, the recalcitrant Primarch received some sage advice from an unexpected quarter. Oriax Dantalion was a Captain in the Imperial Fists Legion and veteran of the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy. He took part in the epic final battle of the blood conflict during the Battle of Terra. Surviving the brutal onslaught of the Traitor Legions and the subsequent dark years of the Great Scouring, he was one of the few proponents within the Imperial Fists who agreed with the Roboute Guilliman's controversial proposal to sunder the Space Marine Legions and form them into Chapters. Though the Captain's opposing viewpoint put him at odds with Rogal Dorn, who resisted any notions of breaking apart his legion.
Unperturbed, Dantalion spoke at great length with his Primarch over the necessity of Guilliman's decree, however, Dorn would not be persuaded by his Captain's arguments. The Primarch was disappointed that one of his own sons would even propose such an idea and became openly hostile to Dantalion for his opposing views when it came to the fate of the Imperial Fists Legion. But eventually, Rogal Dorn relented, and saw the wisdom of Guilliman's proposal, and so, when the Second Founding occurred, Dorn remembered the early wisdom displayed by Captain Dantalion. He awarded the bold Captain for his foresight by choosing him to become the first Chapter Master of the newly created Fists Exemplar Chapter. This Chapter was composed of the more progressive Imperial Fists Legionaries who shared Dantalion's points of view.
To aid the newly created Chapter he gifted the Fists Exemplar with the might Star Fort, Alcazar Astra, which had served the VIIth Legion well during the dark days of the Horus Heresy. The Fists Exemplar were assigned to stand sentinel over the Rubicante Flux that plagued the Abra Sector near the borders of the Segmentum Solar. As the fleet-based Chapter towed the mighty Star Fort as they patrolled the sector for many years, until disaster struck. When the sporadic warp storm suddenly erupted, the Fists Exemplar were caught by surprise as they attempted to tow the Star Fort to a new location. Alcazar Astra was caught within the gravitational flux of a nearby star, and threatened to pull the Star Fort into its fiery embrace. Chapter Master Dantalion and his Captains valiantly guided the massive, mobile Star Fort towards the nearby world of Eidolica, where they were forced to beach it upon the planet's surface. Tragically, Chapter Master Dantalion was killed in the subsequent crash. With the Star Fort eternally grounded, the Fists Exemplar adopted the world as their Chapter Homeworld. First Captain Alameda was chosen as Dantalion's successor, and thus, assumed the role as the new Chapter Master of the Fists Exemplar.
- War of the Beast (544-546.M32) -
Notable Fists ExemplarEdit
- Oriax Dantalion (Deceased) - First Chapter Master of the Fists Exemplar.
- Alameda (Deceased) - Second Chapter Master of the Fists Exemplar.
- Garthas (Deceased) - First Captain of the Fists Exemplar's veteran 1st Company.
- Maximus Thane - Third Chapter Master of the Fists Exemplar. Former Captain of the 2nd Company.
- Tyrian - Captain of the 5th Company
- Dentor - Captain of the 7th Company
- Xontague - Captain of the 8th Company
- Hieronimax (Deceased) - Captain of the 9th Company
- Kastril - Captain of the 10th Company
- Aloysian - Master of the Forge
- Honorarius Zerberyn - Honour Guard
- Mendel Reoch - Apothecary
- Byzander (Deceased) - Chapter Standard Bearer
- Aquino - Standard Bearer, later chosen as Chapter Standard Bearer.
- Hoque - Sergeant, later chosen as Captain of the 2nd Company
- Anatoq - Sergeant, later chosen as Captain of the 9th Company
- The Beast Arises (Novel Series):
- The Emperor Expects (Novel) by Gav Thorpe
- Predator, Prey (Novel) by Rob Sanders