Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Hammers of Dorn|
Black and Brass
The Hammers of Dorn are a Codex Astartes-compliant Space Marine Chapter raised from the gene-seed of Rogal Dorn as a Successor Chapter of the Imperial Fists during an unknown Founding. They are stringent adherents of the Codex, fostering a great rivalry with the Ultramarines and their Successor Chapters whenever those Battle-Brothers do not meet their own militant standards.
Exactly which Founding the Hammers of Dorn Space Marine Chapter were created in is not known for sure, though most signs point to a later one. It is generally believed that the Hammers of Dorn were founded only a few millennia ago, yet they have already proved pivotal during hundreds of campaigns, including the bitterly fought Achilus Crusade against the hated Word Bearers, and the Nightfire Wars against the Tau Farsight Enclaves. Even amongst the Successor Chapters of the Imperial Fists, the Hammers of Dorn exhibit a veneration of Rogal Dorn to the point of obsession. They take pride in their Primarch way beyond the norm. They believe Rogal Dorn was the Emperor's true favoured son and take great pride in his accomplishments, especially that their Primarch fought side by side with the Emperor during the Horus Heresy. The Hammers of Dorn are a stringent Codex-compliant Chapter and uphold the precepts and dogmas of that great tome with exacting precision. They even go so far as to claim that whilst Roboute Guilliman conceived the Codex Astartes, only the warriors of Rogal Dorn can truly master it. The Hammers are ever seeking to prove their superiority, and take pleasure in pointing out the smallest failings of the Ultramarines and their Successor Chapters whenever they do not match their own militant standards.
The Chapter teachings of the Hammers of Dorn invest a great significance in what they perceive as the rivalry between their Primarch and that of the Ultramarines, even going so far as to extend this rivalry to the present day. While the Hammers of Dorn maintain a non-violent rivalry with the Ultramarines and their Successor Chapters, they hold a very real hatred for the Word Bearers Traitor Legion. By all accounts, this situation arose when the Hammers of Dorn took it upon themselves to prove their superiority to the Sons of Guilliman by taking on their rival's ancient foes. Since then, the Hammers of Dorn have fought the Word Bearers on many occasions, to the extent that they have come to regard them as especially hated foes in their own right.
- Achilus Crusade (777.M41-Unknown Date.M41) - The Chapter's involvement in the Achilus Crusade has focused on the worlds known as the Blood Trinity, where the Hammers of Dorn have pursued, without recourse to the Crusade's high command, a series of raids against the Forces of Chaos holding the region. In all probability, the Hammers of Dorn are seeking to ascertain the truth of the rumour that the Word Bearers Traitor Legion is active in the area, pursuing their well-known hatred of this particular enemy. The Chapter recently fought a void-duel against the notorious Chaotic Carnage-class Cruiser Black Grail, though they came off the worse in the engagement and were forced to withdraw, much to their chagrin. The Chapter's forces are currently refitting Karlack, and are by all accounts nearly ready to head out in search of their foes once more.
Chapter Combat DoctrineEdit
The Hammers of Dorn maintain a combat doctrine not unlike their Progenitors, with a particular focus on heavy units. They make extensive use of Devastator Squads and Terminator Squads, as well as Vindicator siege tanks and Dreadnoughts, eschewing speed and manoeuvrability in favour of firepower and protection.
The Chaplains of the Hammers of Dorn teach that their Primarch is especially favoured in the eyes of the Emperor of Mankind, for he stood by his father's side during the darkest days of the Horus Heresy. Guilliman and his descendants, these Chaplains preach, cannot lay claim to such a proud deed, for the Ultramarines were fighting against the Word Bearers Traitor Legion on the other side of the galaxy when the Battle of Terra reached its conclusion. The Hammers of Dorn therefore hold that their Primarch was the pre-eminent son of the Emperor, even going so far as to regard the Ultramarines and the Successor Chapters as somehow lacking. For the most part, the Ultramarines maintain a stoic disregard for what they see as the Hammers of Dorns' somewhat unbecoming, and undeserved self-regard. To date, the two groups have not actually engaged in honourific combat, though tensions often simmer just below the surface when they encounter one another. The Hammers of Dorn look for rivals amongst both friends and foes alike. Battle-Brothers from the Hammers of Dorn Chapter are wont to be rivals with any allies that are from the Ultramarines Chapter or its descendants. The Chapter holds the Word Bearers with the utmost contempt, and will go to any lengths to prosecute them and bring them to meet the Emperor's justice if there is even a whisper of their presence in local space.
- Weight of Duty - Weight of Duty is a master-crafted Astartes Power Maul. The flat head of this Power Maul is lined with a miniature grav-plate, similar to those that line the decks of great voidships. Upon striking a foe, the grav-plate activates for a brief instant, multiplying the hammer's impact many times over by increasing its descending weight.
The Hammers of Dorn wear black Power Armour with brass or golden colouring on the trim, helmet face and Aquila or Imperialis on the chest guard. The golden coloured squad specialty symbol (Tactical, Assault, Devastator, or Veteran), is indicated on the right shoulder guard. A white Roman numeral is stenciled in the centre of the specialist symbol, indicating the squad number. Company markings are displayed on the left knee plate.
The Hammers of Dorn's badge is a modified version of that used by the Imperial Fists, a brass coloured, clenched fist holding a brass hammer superimposed over an Imperial Laurel, also coloured brass. This is centred on a field of black.
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pg. 46
- Deathwatch: Honour the Chapter (RPG), pg. 136
- Deathwatch: Rites of Battle (RPG), pg. 67
- The Artwork of Clint Langley, pp. 55-60