Harald Deathwolf serves as the current Wolf Lord of one of the Space Wolves Space Marine Chapter's Great Companies. He has taken the symbol of the Ravening Jaw, which symbolises the Wolftime, the end of all things, when the Guardian of the Dead Morkai will eat the sun and eternal night will shroud the stars. Harald himself rides to battle upon the great grey wolf Icetooth. It is said that Harld's senses are so sharp he can smell the fear of his prey from several leagues distance. His Great Company goes to war accompanied by a host of lupine beasts, be they flesh and blood, cybernetic construct or even the spirits of loyal companions.
Harald Deathwolf is one of the twelve Wolf Lords who lead the Great Companies of the Space Wolves Chapter under the command of the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar. Each Great Company is usually named after its Wolf Lord. When a Wolf Lord is slain, a successor is elected by the members of the old Lord's Wolf Guard, and the Great Company takes on his name instead. As this is considered a great honour beyond measure, each Wolf Lord strives harder than ever to live up to the heroic example set by his predecessor. Leading a Great Company of up to 250 Space Wolves Astartes, the character of each Great Company's lord influences his warriors. When elevated to the rank of Wolf Lord, Harald Deathwolf chose the symbol of the Ravening Jaw. This symbol appears on the Great Company's banner and is repeated on the armour of the Battle-Brothers of the company.
Within the ranks of Harald Deathwolf's Wolf Guard there exists one warrior more at home in the company of wolves than men. Prowling the corridors of The Fang, lupine shapes both great and small pad in his wake. This feral warrior is known as Canis Wolfborn. Known as Growlthroat and Fangrider, he is is a lord of wolfkind just as surely as Grimnar is a lord of men. Deathwolf first encountered Canis after he dragged the unconscious form of Jorek the Giant to the gates of The Fang. Jorek had been on a Lone Hunt, tracking a large pack Fenrisian Wolves to a fissure in the Bladed Mountains. Canis attacked the Space Wolf and beat him into unconsciousness before Jorek could attack his lupine kin. Tracking his footprints all the way back to The Fang, the savage had an entire family of gigantic Fenrisian Wolves in tow. Giving up a great howling once his pack had reached the gates of The Fang, Harald Deathwolf felt compelled to investigate himself. After several abortive attempts to communicate, Harald met Canis' darting yellow eyes and growled a challenge. The resultant duel was far more close-fought than the Deathwolf expected it to be, but eventually, Canis grudgingly acceded that he had finally come up against a greater predator than himself and bared his throat in submission. Thus did he become the Dealthwolf's packmate and eventually his champion.
- "Through the acrid swamps of Comania the Deathwolf stalked. His quarry the Eater of Souls. He caught the beast up by its snapping claw. And cast it into the fires of his star-ship. The Daemonsmith, whose hammer had fashioned the beast. Sent his metal monsters to seek revenge. To no avail. The Great Company's teeth sunk deep. And tore out the planet's rotting metal heart."
- — From the Saga of Harald Deathwolf - The Eater of Souls
- The Eater of Souls (Unknown Date.M41) - A century after his elevation to the position of Wolf Lord, Harald Deathwolf and Canis Wolfborn set off from Fenris to the toxic quagmires of Comania. Comania was a planet in a neighbouring star system that had ceased responding to all Imperial Vox signals. Close-range auguries from Harald's Rune Priests revealed the world to have been overtaken by a Chaos-tainted machine plague that had infected every complex system and manufactorum. A Drop Pod strike would have been quickly lost in the Death World's acid swamps, so Harald made his way planetside in the Thunderhawk gunship Jaegarhundt. Wading through the vitriolic waters of the swamps, the Wolf Lord was ambushed by a gigantic many-legged Daemon Engine that burst out of the swamp, guns spitting fire. Harald dodged and rolled, avoiding its snapping claws even as he voxed for support from his Thunderhawk. The beast was not easily fooled, and crippled the incoming gunship's turbolaser with a putrid blast of vomit from its great maw. But the Space Wolves are resourceful warriors, and the Thunderhawk's pilot caught the beast in Jaegarhundt's afterburners just as Harald and Canis dived under the brackish waters to attack it from below. The destruction of the brass beast triggered a full-scale war between the daemons that infested the planet and Deathwolf's Great Company. Although Harald lost a full third of his men in the process, the Iron Warriors Warsmith who had engineered the planet's corruption was hunted down and killed, his twisted manufactorums brought down around him by systematic Vindicator fire. Harald had forged an epic verse for his saga.
- "Down from Asaheim they came. The Ice Trolls, gorging on the hot flesh of man. Deathwolf felt the plight of his kin. He smote the beasts in a single night."
- — From the Saga of Harld Deathwolf - The Slaying of the Ice Trolls
- The Slaying of the Ice Trolls (892.M41) - In his mortal life, Harald Deathwolf was a fierce champion of the Tide Hounds tribe of Fenris. In 892.M41, he heard tell of a migration of Ice Trolls that had reached his old stomping grounds and begun to devour the humans they found there. The Tide Hounds had fought a valiant action to preserve their homes and hunting grounds but the migration was too large, the Ice Trolls too vicious. On the verge of a berserk rage, Deathwolf made an unsanctioned return to his mortal roots during the middle of the night and led his savage tribe-kin to victory against the Ice Trolls that were assailing them. Harald himself slew a great troll during the Ice Troll migration and still wears the skin of the largest of their number as a trophy to this day.
- "Upon the Red Moon of Gallimius did the Deathwolf hunt. At Mount Icetooth he duelled his once-brother Svan Vulfbad. He who had turned from the Allfather's grace. The clamour of their duel rivalled the rage of the storm. Long they fought, but when lightning struck them. Only the Deathwolf remained on high. He took up the splinters of the traitor's frost axe. And forged them into the jaw of his wolf."
- — From the Saga of Harlad Deathwolf - The Icetooth
- The Icetooth (913.M41) - Harald Deathwolf and his Great Company were charged in 913.M41 by the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar to track down and execute the notorious rogue Wolf Lord Svane Vulfbad. Deathwolf and his company eventually uncovered Vulfbad in the Cliedes System, tracking their elusive quarry to the storm-wracked moon of Gallimius. Deathwolf rode his ferocious Thunderwolf through the planet's ferrite dust storms at the head of a small strike force of Wolf Scouts. The visibility was so bad that Deathwolf had to track his quarry purely by scent, but he later claimed the stink of rank sweat and treachery was so strong it was child's play to follow. It has been said that Harald's senses are so sharp he can smell the fear of his prey from several leagues distance. After weeks of stalking their prey, Deathwolf's hunting party cornered Vulfbad atop a dust-crowned mountain just as the vile Traitor was completing a sorcerous summoning ritual that would have seen his traitorous forces thronged with daemons. The Renegade Space Wolf fought like a madman even after his allies had been slain, badly wounding Harald's Thunderwolf in the process, but he was ultimately outmatched. As Harald brought his axe around to deliver the deathblow, a bolt of lightning struck them both. When the dust settled all that remained of Vulfbad was his Frost Axe, a shard of which now juts from the cybernetic jaw of Harald's Thunderwolf. The beast has been known as Icetooth ever since.
- "When the Kraken's Egg hatched. The beasts of the Sea of Stars spilled out. Harald's Wolves smelt their evil in the air. In the Halls of Russ battle was joined."
- — From the Saga of Harald Deathwolf - The Wolves of Helwinter
- The Wolves of Helwinter (999.M41) - In early 999.M41, the 50-foot long leather-skinned "Kraken's Egg" that sat stinking in the Trophy Hall of The Fang split open to disgorge a slithering swarm of tentacled weapon-beasts. It was Harald Deathwolf's Fenrisian Wolves that smelt their acrid stench first, and their howling was such that the Wolf Lord himself went to investigate. Together with Canis Wolfborn and a warband of Battle-Brothers he had gathered on his way to the Trophy Hall, Harald took his wolves into the slime-covered galleries and messily butchered the foul things one after another. It was a hard-fought victory, however, and none of the combatants escaped without the circular scars of the kraken-spawns' tentacles somewhere upon their body.
- Artificer Power Armour or Terminator Armour
- Frost Axe
- Storm Bolter
- Bolt Pistol or Bolter
- Frag Grenades and Krak Grenades
- Icetooth - Harald Deathwolf rides a monstrous Fenrisian Grey Wolf into battle. During a confrontation with the rogue Wolf Lord Svane Vulfbad in 913.M41, a shard of the Traitor's Frost Axe was imbedded within the cybernetic jaw of Harald's Thunderwolf. Thus, the beast gained the name Icetooth which he has carried ever since.
- Codex: Space Wolves (5th Edition), pp. 16, 54
- White Dwarf 387 (US), "Saga of Harald Deathwolf", pp. 56-59