The Imperial Harbingers is a Loyalist Space Marine Chapter of unknown origin that was raised during the 23rd Founding in the 37th Millenium. The Harbingers hail from the darkness-shrouded world of Birmingham, the so-called "Black Planet," and spend much of their time pursuing one Imperial Crusade after another.
The Imperial Harbingers Chapter was created during the 23rd Founding, the so-called "Sentinel Founding", to help replace the considerable losses suffered by the Adeptus Astartes in the preceding millennia. Along with several other Chapters, the Imperial Harbingers was from the outset conceived as a replacement Chapter that would spend its existence on continuous Crusade and was to be created from the most stable gene-seed stocks available to the Adeptus Mechanicus. Like many of the Space Marine Chapters created during this tumultuous period in Imperial history, its exact progenitor Chapter remains unknown. The Imperial Harbingers hail from the Feral World of Birmingham, "the Black Planet", so named because it receives very little visible light. The Chapter is called simply the "Harbingers" and the "Imperial Harbingers" interchangeably and the terms do not refer to separate Chapters. The Harbingers specialise in boarding actions and planetary drop assaults. The Harbingers consider themselves sworn enemies of the Death Guard Traitor Legion.
- Piscina IV (Unknown Date.M41) - The Imperial Harbingers fought alongside the Dark Angels against the combined forces of the Ork Warlords Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka and Nazdreg Ug Urdgrub. The fiercest fighting was at the Dark Angels' Basilica.
- Scylla Incident (Unknown Date.M41) - The Scylla Incident was a naval engagement that was fought by the Harbingers in the Gothic Sector. The Imperial Harbingers' Battle Barge, the Unrelenting Fury, intercepted the Ork-controlled Space Hulk Scylla, delivering a series of punishing salvos against it. The Unrelenting Fury suffered severe engine damage from repeated attacks by Ork attack-craft, but was otherwise unharmed.
- 13th Black Crusade (999.M41) - When word reached the Chapter of the outbreak of the 13th Black Crusade, the Imperial Harbingers were engaged in battle with the Orks of the Piscinan Belt. The Chapter redirected its forces away from the Orks, and committed eight companies to combat the threat of Abaddon the Despoiler and his Forces of Chaos. The Harbingers Chapter had an old score to settle with the Death Guard Traitor Legion. The Chapter's enmity could be traced back to a raid on its homeworld of Birmingham, the so-called Black Planet, by the Death Guard, aided by the infamous Renegade known as Fabius Bile. The Imperial Harbingers' Chapter Master, Nimrod Grudge, received early word of the outbreak of the Plague of Unbelief and mobilised the Chapter accordingly. Leaving most of the Chapter either in the Piscina System or on the Black Planet, the Harbingers' 1st, 4th, 7th and 9th Companies boarded their Battle Barge, Unrelenting Fury, and set course for the world of Nemesis Tessera. Immediately upon their arrival, they were recruited for a special mission. As the Harbingers were known for their skill in the arts of boarding Space Hulks and launching planetary assaults, it could only be assumed that their mission involved the use of this Chapter's particular skill set.
Notable Imperial HarbringersEdit
- Chapter Master Nimrod Grudge - The current Chapter Master of the Imperial Harbingers.
The Imperial Harbingers primarily wear light grey Power Armour. The Aquila or Imperialis on the chest guard is silver. The black squad specialty symbol (Tactical, Assault, Devastator or Veteran) is designated on the right shoulder plate. A white Roman numeral centred on the squad specialty symbol designates squad number. The colour of the helm indicates company number in accordance with the Codex Astartes -- i.e. White (1st Company), Yellow (2nd Company), Red (3rd Company), Green (4th Company), etc.
The Imperial Harbingers' Chapter badge is a large white skull in profile, engulfed by flames, on a field of light grey.
- Adpetus Astartes: Successor Chapters (Limited Release Booklet)
- Battlefleet Gothic Rulebook, "To Cleanse the Stars"
- Codex: Eye of Terror (3rd Edition), pg. 16
- Codex: Space Marines (3rd Edition), pg. 44
- How to Paint Space Marines, pg. 89
- Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pg. 74
- Insignium Astartes: The Uniforms and Regalia of the Space Marines, pg. 54
- Angels of Darkness (Novel) by Gavin Thorpe, pg. 80