The Iron Champions are a Loyalist Space Marines Chapter that is a Successor Chapter of the Executioners and was created during an unknown Founding. For their role in combating the apostates and traitors of the Plague of Unbelief in the 36th Millennium, the Executioners were granted the rare honour of having a new Chapter, the Iron Champions, being created from their gene-seed in a later Founding.
- Dark Marches Crusade (610-759.M36) - In the wake of the Age of Apostasy, the Segmentum Tempestus saw a resurgence in power and renaissance of expansion, known to Imperial historians as the "Rising Storm". With the blessing of Terra, Segmentum Tempestus authorities launched a number of crusades and campaigns to destroy lingering threats within their domain, and push back and fortify the borders of the Imperium. The most successful of these was the Dark Marches Crusade, commanded by Lord Tempestus Hal Orpheus, lineal descendant of the Rogue Trader house that had first explored the Orpheus Region's sinister reaches millennia previously. The Iron Champions sent six companies of Astartes to take part in the massive Imperial Crusade.
- The Third War for Armageddon (998.M41) - The Iron Champions were one of several dozen Space Marine Chapters that participated in the Third War for Armageddon. The Chapter dispatched 7 companies to fight in the conflict. During the war, the Iron Champions launched a massive Drop Pod assault to support the assault of the Celestial Lions and were it not for the intervention of these two Chapters, Armageddon's Hive Volcanus would have remained in Ork hands.
The Iron Champions primarily wear black coloured Power Armour. The shoulder plates are slate grey in colour. The Iron Champions also paint a fearsome looking skull on their helmets to strike the fear of the Emperor into their foes. The black coloured squad specialty symbol (Tactical, Assault, Devastator, or Veteran), is indicated on the right shoulder guard. A white coloured Roman numeral on the centre of the squad specialty symbol indicates squad number. The Aquila or Imperialis on the chest guard indicates company number in accordance to the Codex Astartes -- i.e. White (1st Company), Yellow (2nd Company), Red (3rd Company), Green (4th Company) etc.
The Iron Champions' Chapter badge is a white coloured human skull at the center of a black Iron Halo, centred on a field of grey.
- Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters (Limited Release Booklet)
- Codex: Armageddon (3rd Edition), pg. 32
- Index Astartes: Emperor's Shield
- Imperial Armour Volume Two (Second Edition) - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes, pg. 8
- Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two, pg. 84
- Imperial Armour Volume Twelve - The Fall of Orpheus, pp. 17-19