Second Founding (31st Millennium)
Blue Gunmetal and Black
The Iron Knights are a Loyalist Codex Astartes-compliant Space Marine Chapter. The Iron Knights are a Second Founding Successor Chapter of the Imperial Fists. The Iron Knights are a Crusading Chapter in the proud tradition of Rogal Dorn. The Chapter's homeworld is the world of Brycantia.
The Iron Knights are one of the 12 Space Marine Chapters who are Successors of the Imperial Fists that send a champion to the centennial Feast of Blades, and are the only Chapter that attends to have won the contest on two consecutive occasions.
- 13th Black Crusade (999.M41) - The Chapter was on a self-imposed penitence Crusade for a number of decades when they were called into action during the 13th Black Crusade. The Iron Knights fielded 1 company against the Forces of Chaos in this campaign.
- Defence of Amistel Majoris - The Chapter's elite1st Company became mired in the defence of Amistel Majoris, bolstering the flagging defences of the Howling Griffons Chapter as they fought a grueling trench war against the unremitting assaults of the Plague Marines of the Death Guard Traitor Legion. The warzone soon became a plague-ridden quagmire, the decomposing bodies of the Plague God's victims forming putrid, sucking swamps through which the defenders were forced to wade in order to bring battle to their foes. A sickly patina of filth soon marred the gleaming blue-grey Power Armour of the Iron Knights, and the company's Chaplains were forced to perform daily rites of purification in order to keep the virulent plague at bay. Recent sermons by these Chaplains have linked the Chapter's continuing presence in the warzone with their eventual redemption, vowing that the world will only fall at the cost of the entire Chapter. By the third week of the Black Crusade, Amistel Majoris was considered sufficiently secure that a portion of its Space Marine defenders could be spared to reinforce the Cadian System, which, in the days following the destruction of Saint Josmane's Hope was in desperate need of reinforcement.
Chapter Combat Doctrine
The Iron Knights is a smaller Chapter of Astartes. They are primarily a Chapter that is used as a full assault force. They focus on launching heavy assaults against well-defended, strongly fortified targets using their large complement of Terminators and heavily-armoured vehicles like Predator and Land Raider main battle tanks.
The Iron Knights are described as having "gleaming, blue-grey armour." The Iron Knights' Power Armour is painted blue gunmetal, including the Aquila and shoulder trim. The helmet and shoulder plate inserts are painted black.
The Iron Knights bear their squad markings on both shoulder plates, with the Chapter badge, a white Cross Crosslet on a black background, painted on a small shield attached to the front corner of their left shoulder plate.
- Codex: Eye of Terror (3rd Edition), p. 16.
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition)
- Index Astartes III, ""The Eye of the Storm: Space Marine Chapters fighting in the Eye of Terror", p. 67
- Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook (5th Edition)