- "Recon Lead in position, Kroot encampment in sight. Recon Two, commence infiltration, over. Recon Two? Recon Two, report status, over…"
- — Scout Captain Khorvah, Volg 91st Light Infantry
Kroot Hounds are an evolutionary dead end of the Kroot species, xenos who are allied with the Tau Empire. They are canine-like Kroots who excel at running down prey and are capable enough to fight enemies larger and stronger than themselves. They are usually deployed in packs, and can have a Kroot Shaper amongst them to boost their fighting spirit. Using their agility, sharp claws and powerful jaws, they are able to wound or kill almost any opponent, even armoured Space Marines in certain instances. This, coupled with the fact that Kroot Hounds can take an incredible amount of punishment before being killed, means that Kroot Hounds can survive and deal terrible damage during prolonged melees, and will often survive long enough to run down the enemy should they try to flee. Kroot Hounds are ferocious in battle and are notoriously bad-tempered as beasts. Even when not in battle, it is not unheard of for a Kroot Hound to turn on its Kroot handler if that handler is foolish enough to mistreat it or let his guard down. While the Tau value the strength and viciousness of their allied Kroot, they find the Kroot Hounds distasteful. Kroot Hounds are intelligent if bad-tempered, though it is unknown if they still retain the sentience of their original Kroot forebears.
- Codex: Tau (3rd Edition)
- Codex: Tau Empire (4th Edition)
- Deathwatch: Mark of the Xenos (RPG), pg. 23
- This article is a stub. You can help the Warhammer 40k Wiki by fixing it.