The Land Raider Prometheus is a variant of the standard Land Raider used by the Adeptus Astartes as an assault transport and main battle tank. The Land Raider Prometheus is used as a battlefield command vehicle as it is outfitted with additional sensor and communications equipment. The standard Land Raider's hull-mounted twin-linked Heavy Bolters are removed in order to make room for the additional equipment. The vehicle features an advanced Vox signal booster allowing it to coordinate units at long-range, including ground-to-ground and ground-to-orbit. The Land Raider Prometheus shares several features in common with the Damocles Command Rhino, and as such is capable of fulfilling the role of the strike force command and control hub if a Damocles is not deployed or is disabled.
The origins of the Land Raider Prometheus are shrouded in mystery. There are some Tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus who believe that it was first developed as a variant of the Land Raider Tartarus, as they share several undeniable similarities. As of yet there is no evidence to support this theory. Many others believe that the Prometheus was first developed on the Imperial World of Nocturne by the Salamanders Space Marine Chapter, as the Salamanders have more Land Raider Prometheus tanks in their possession than any other Chapter, four in total. The Salamanders deny this claim and it is unknown how many other Chapters have Land Raider Prometheuses in their Armouries.
In more recent times the Prometheus has gained fame for its ability to act both as a command vehicle and as a war machine. During the Masali Campaign an Ultramarines force, led by the 2nd Company's commander Captain Cato Sicarius, came under heavy attack by Eldar Corsairs. The Eldar outnumbered the Ultramarines force three-to-one, and Sicarius only had access to a Land Raider Prometheus and two Land Speeders. The Prometheus was first used as a defensive anchor in which the Ultramarines were able to keep the Eldar from advancing, and after the first assault was repulsed the Prometheus was able to bring its four twin-linked Heavy Bolters to bear against the attacking Eldar Guardians, killing many in only a matter of seconds. The Prometheus then turned its weapons, guided by their advanced targeting systems, against the Eldar Jetbikes. Eldar Jetbikes, which are normally very difficult to target due to the high speeds at which they travel, were targetted and systematically destroyed. After the Jetbikes were destroyed Sicarius ordered his reserve forces, which were stationed to the north, to attack the Eldar from behind. Captain Sicarius and his squads surrounding the Prometheus moved forwards and cut-off the remaining Eldar, who were eventually destroyed. After the battle, the Land Raider Prometheus and its crew earned the first-class Marksman's Honour badge for turning the tide of the battle in the Imperium's favour. The Land Raider Prometheus remains a keystone in the Ultramarines' Armoury to this day.
The Land Raider Prometheus replaces the standard sponson-mounted twin-linked Lascannons with four sets of twin-linked Heavy Bolters, two on each side. These weapons are enhanced by the Prometheus' advanced targeting systems, allowing them to target enemies with a high degree of precision. The advanced targeting systems and additional communication systems take up some of the interior room within the vehicle, as such the hull-mounted twin-linked Heavy Bolters are replaced as well as some of the vehicle's transport capacity. The Prometheus is capable of transporting up to ten fully-armoured Space Marines or up to five Terminators. A Land Raider Prometheus is always equipped with a pintle-mounted Storm Bolter for added defence against enemy attack, but can also be outfitted with extra armour plating, a Hunter-Killer Missile Launcher, a Pintle-mounted Multi-Melta, a searchlight, and smoke launchers.
Known Users of the Land Raider PrometheusEdit
- Raven Guard - The Raven Guard Space Marine Chapter used a single Land Raider Prometheus to coordinate all of their ground forces during the Imperial raid on the Ork held world of Kastorel-Novem in 541992.M41 The raid was a failure, as neither the Raven Guard nor their Elysian Drop Troop allies were able to destroy the Ork manufacturing facilities or kill the Ork Mek Boss, Buzzgob.
- Raptors - The Raptors Space Marine Chapter made use of the Land Raider Prometheus during the Taros Campaign against the Tau.
- Dark Angels - The Dark Angels Space Marine Chapter made use of the Land Raider Prometheus during the Siege of Vraks against the Traitor Forces of Cardinal-Astra Xaphan.
- Howling Griffons - The Howling Griffons Space Marine Chapter made use of the Land Raider Prometheus during the Badab War against the Secessionist Forces of the Tyrant of Badab, Lufgt Huron, and also during the Dennar IV Rebellion.
- Ultramarines - The Ultramarines Space Marine Chapter made use of the Land Raider Prometheus during the Masali Campaign against Eldar Corsairs.
- Minotaurs - The Minotaurs Space Marine Chapter made use of the Land Raider Prometheus during the Badab War against the Secessionist Forces of the Tyrant of Badab, Lufgt Huron.
- Salamanders - The Salamanders Space Marine Chapter is known to have four Land Raiders Prometheus in their possession.
- White Scars - The White Scars Space Marine Chapter is known to have three Land Raiders Prometheus in their possession.
- Blood Angels
- Avenging Sons
Known Land Raiders PrometheusEdit
- Shield of Mancora - The Shield of Mancora was a Land Raider Prometheus of the Howling Griffons Space Marine Chapter which took part in the Badab War, where it was immobilised and captured by the Executioners Chapter. It is unknown if the vehicle was ever returned.
- Angelis Imperator - Angelis Imperator is a Land Raider Prometheus belonging to the Dark Angels Space Marine Chapter. This vehicle took part in the Siege of Vraks, where it was seriously damaged but recovered later for repairs.
Adeptus Mechanicus Technical SpecificationsEdit
|Vehicle Name:||Land Raider Prometheus||Main Armament:||4 sponson-mounted Twin-linked Heavy Bolters|
|Forge World of Origin:||Macragge||Secondary Armament:||Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter|
|Known Patterns:||I - VI||Traverse:||180 degrees|
|Crew:||1 Commander, 1 Driver||Elevation:||-32 to 42 degrees|
|Powerplant:||Adaptable Thermic Combustion with Auxilliary Reactor||Main Ammunition:||4,800 Rounds|
|Weight:||72.0 tonnes||Secondary Ammunition:||1,000 Rounds|
|Height:||4.31 metres||Superstructure:||95 millimetres|
|Ground Clearance:||0.45 metres||Hull:||95 millimetres|
|Max Speed On-Road:||55 kilometres per hour||Gun Mantlet:||N/A|
|Max Speed Off-Road:||48 kilometres per hour||Vehicle Designation:||0120-766-0724-PR 140|
|Transport Capacity:||10 Space Marines, or 5 Terminator Marines||Firing Ports:||N/A|
|Access Points:||2 Side Doors, 1 Front ramp||Turret:||N/A|
- Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, pp. 111-116
- Imperial Armour Volume Three - The Taros Campaign, p. 152
- Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks - Part One, pp. 60, 63, 146-147
- Imperial Armour Volume Eight - Raid On Kastorel-Novem, pp. 57, 59
- Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, p. 131
- Imperial Armour Volume Ten - The Badab War - Part Two, pp. 47, 154
- Imperial Armour Update 2003, pp. 8-9
- Imperial Armour Apocalypse II, p. 33