The Land Speeder Tornado is a variant of the standard Land Speeder used by the Adeptus Astartes. It is the most common and widespread of all Land Speeder variants. The only difference between the standard Land Speeder and the Land Speeder Tornado is its deployed weaponry, as the Land Speeder Tornado adds another weapon, usually an Assault Cannon or Heavy Flamer, under the craft's nose.
This increase in firepower gives the Land Speeder Tornado the ability to better engage larger numbers of enemy combatants that are tightly grouped together, such as the Tyranids or the Orks. The Land Speeder and its variants are highly suited for lightning fast hit-and-run tactics which often employ a Land Speeder Tornado assaulting enemy infantry squads while a Land Speeder Typhoon uses its missiles to destroy enemy armoured vehicles.
The origins of the standard Land Speeder and its Tornado variant date back to the first century of the Great Crusade in the 30th Millennium, when Techno-Archaeologist Arkhan Land led several expeditions into the uncharted and extremely dangerous depths of the Librarius Omnis on Mars. During these expeditions, Land rediscovered the Standard Template Construct (STC) designs for two heavy tracked vehicles. The first was the mighty battle tank which would later be known as the Land Raider, and the second was the humble utility vehicle called the Land Crawler. Land also discovered information regarding powerful and compact plates capable of emitting an anti-gravitic field and Land later developed theories on their uses. Unfortunately, years before the first Land Speeder was built, Arkhan Land and his entire expeditionary force were wiped-out by an unknown, yet extremely powerful psychic entity while conducting yet another expedition into the Librarius Omnis. All three of the designs he found were ultimately named after him.
Some time after his death, the anti-gravitic plate technology he had discovered was used in the construction of the Land Speeder. The Land Speeder was issued to the Space Marine Legions and to the Imperial Army as a light vehicle intended for scouting and lightning-fast assaults. During the Horus Heresy the Land Speeder was used on both sides of the conflict, yet due to the difficulty and expense of maintaining them they are no longer used by the Traitor Legions. After the Horus Heresy, and the reformation of the Imperial Army into the Imperial Navy and the Imperial Guard, the Land Speeder was no longer issued to non-Astartes soldiers, as their technology has become far too precious and complex to be risked in the hands of Imperial troops who are not the elite of Mankind. The original Land Speeder had several different patterns, several of which were slower than others. These early designs were dropped from use completely as they had only been used by the mortal soldiers of the Imperial Army. The Land Speeder patterns used by the Astartes are far too fast and difficult to control for non-enhanced human reflexes.
The Land Speeder Tornado is able to fulfill the same scouting and reconnaissance role as the standard Land Speeder, yet with the added firepower of its additional weapon. The standard Land Speeder Tornado is armed with a single pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter that is operated by the vehicle's gunner and a Heavy Flamer that is mounted under the craft's nose, which is controlled by the vehicle's driver. The Heavy Bolter can be switched out for a Multi-Melta to give the Land Speeder Tornado enhanced anti-armour firepower and the Heavy Flamer can be swapped for an Assault Cannon, giving the vehicle a powerful weapon against enemy infantry and light armour. There are some Space Marine Chapters that use a slightly different non-named pattern of Land Speeder and Land Speeder Tornado that is equipped with twin-linked Heavy Bolters in place of the single one and some variants are known to be equipped with twin-linked Assault Cannons. During the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy there were several different variations of the standard Land Speeder, some of which included hull-mounted cannons and different pintle-mounted weapons, but these variants have long since disappeared from most, if not all, Imperial armouries. Unlike many other Imperial vehicles, the Land Speeder has no upgrades or attachments that can be equipped.
- 1-3 Land Speeder Tornados
A standard Land Speeder Tornado is armed and equipped with:
A Land Speeder Tornado may replace its pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter with one of the following pintle-mounted weapons:
A Land Speeder Tornado may also be armed with the following underslung weapons:
Known Users of the Land Speeder TornadoEdit
- Dark Angels - The Dark Angels Space Marine Chapter makes heavy use of both Land Speeders and Land Speeder Tornadoes in their 2nd Company, the Ravenwing. The Dark Angels deployed over 15 Land Speeder Tornadoes during the Siege of Vraks against the Forces of Chaos. The Dark Angels also made use of these vehicles during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy against the Traitor Legions.
- Red Hunters - The Red Hunters Space Marine Chapter deployed several Land Speeder variants, including the Tornado variant, during the Siege of Vraks against the Forces of Chaos.
- Raven Guard - The Raven Guard make heavy use of the Land Speeder and its variants, especially the Land Speeder Tornado, during their many campaigns. The Raven Guard enjoy the vehicle's lightning fast speed and high maneuverability as it fits perfectly with their combat doctrine's emphasis on highly mobile warfare. The Raven Guard deployed several Land Speeder Tornadoes and other Land Speeder variants during the Imperial raid on the Ork-held planet of Kastorel-Novem. The Raven Guard also used these vehicles during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy against the Traitor Legions.
- Raptors - The Raptors Space Marine Chapter, along with many other Chapters, used Land Speeders and Land Speeder Tornados during the Badab War against the Secessionist forces of the Tyrant of Badab, Lufgt Huron.
- Blood Ravens - The Blood Ravens Space Marine Chapter made use of the Land Speeder and its more common variants during the Dark Crusade and the Kaurava Campaign.
- World Eaters - The World Eaters Space Marine Legion made use of the Land Speeder and Land Speeder Tornado during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy, though they no longer make use of these vehicles.
- Ultramarines - The Ultramarines Space Marine Chapter makes extensive use of the Land Speeder and all of its variants, and the Ultramarines have used these vehicles since the time of the Great Crusade.
- Emperor's Children - The Emperor's Children Legion made heavy use of the Land Speeder and its variants during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy, though they no longer make use of these vehicles in the 41st Millennium.
- Salamanders - The Salamanders Space Marine Chapter have been using the Land Speeder and Land Speeder Tornado since the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy.
- White Scars - The White Scars make extensive use of the Land Speeder and all of its variants as their speed and maneuverability fit perfectly with their combat doctrine's emphasis on mobile warfare. The White Scars have made use of Land Speeders since the early days of the Great Crusade.
Adeptus Mechanicus Technical SpecificationsEdit
|Type||Attack Skimmer||Operational Ceiling||100 Metres|
|Vehicle Name||Land Speeder Tornado||Max Speed||350 kilometres per hour|
|Forge World of Origin||Mars||Range||4,000 kilometres in atmosphere|
|Known Patterns||III - XXII||Main Armament||Nose-mounted Heavy Flamer|
|Crew||1 Pilot, 1 Gunner||Secondary Armament||Pintle-mounted Heavy Bolter|
|Powerplant||2 x AS 9-60 Ramjets||Main Ammunition||10 Shots|
|Weight||3.6 Tonnes||Secondary Ammunition||500 Rounds|
|Wingspan||5.0 Metres||Superstructure||15 millimetres|
|Height||3.0 Metres||Hull||15 millimetres|
|Vehicle Designation:||2109-063-9308-LS 011|
- Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, pp. 117-124
- Imperial Armour Volume Five - The Siege of Vraks - Part One, pp. 65, 145
- Imperial Armour Volume Seven - The Siege of Vraks - Part Three, pg. 38
- Imperial Armour Volume Eight - Raid on Kastorel-Novem, pg. 60
- Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pg. 104
- The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, pp. 62, 155, 231, 252, 255, 269, 298
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 74
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pp. 95, 173
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Space Marines (7th Edition) (Digital Edition), "Land Speeders," "Datasheet - Land Speeders"
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Space Marines (8th Edition), pp. 3, 75, 170
- Codex: Dark Angels (6th Edition), pg. 48