The Marines Exemplar are a Loyalist Space Marine Chapter of unknown Founding and origin that is listed in the Mythos Angelica Mortis, a tome of ancient knowledge stating that 20 Space Marine Chapters, collectively called the Astartes Praeses, had been created to watch over the Eye of Terror region after the Great Scouring. The Exemplars are part of the Astartes Praeses. Chapter Master Maxim Absolon originally deployed nine companies of the Chapter according to Logan Grimnar's (the Great Wolf of the Space Wolves) deployment plan, resulting in the Chapter being scattered across several warzones in defence of the Segmentum Obscurus during the 13th Black Crusade. However, after the Chapter Master's Thunderhawk was shot down Captain Raoul of the 2nd Company took command (though the Chapter remains hopeful that Maxim Absolon may still be alive behind enemy lines). He now deploys according to his own advisors and not Logan Grimnar's battle plans. The Marines Exemplar's homeworld is the planet Necris.
The Marines Exemplar are listed in the Mythos Angelica Mortis, a tome of ancient knowledge stating that 20 Space Marine Chapters, collectively called the Astartes Praeses, had been created to watch over the Eye of Terror region after the Great Scouring. The Exemplars are part of this elite group of guardians.
- 13th Black Crusade (999.M41) - The Marines Exemplar dedicated all but one Reserve Company to the Imperial efforts against the Forces of Chaos during the 13th Black Crusade. Chapter Master Maxim Absolon originally deployed nine companies of the Chapter according to Logan Grimnar's (the Great Wolf of the Space Wolves) deployment plan, resulting in the Chapter being scattered across several warzones in defence of the Segmentum Obscurus. Tragically, Absolon was lost in the opening phase of the conflict, as his company attempted to extract the senior staff of an Astropathic way station before the forces of Abaddon the Despoiler overwhelmed the jungle moon on which it was located. The 5th Columnus Regiment, a Traitor Guard unit led by the demagogue Colonel Jobe, was making a push towards the Belis Corona System, but had first to secure the jungle moon. Greatly outnumbered, Absolon led his force in a desperate breakout attempt, and although the majority of the company escaped, the commander's Thunderhawk gunship was shot down, exploding as it failed to clear the jungle canopy. The commander was listed as missing in action, though the Marines Exemplar have not given up hope that he might have survived the crash and remained active behind enemy lines. However, Absolon's second-in-command, Captain Raoul, had distanced the Chapter from Logan Grimnar's Council of War, preferring instead to deploy the Chapter's companies as his own advisors saw fit.
The Marines Exemplar's primarily wear black coloured Power Armour, with the exception of dark red coloured arms and shoulder plates. The black coloured squad specialty symbol (Tactical, Assault, Devastator, or Veteran) is indicated on the right shoulder guard. A white coloured Gothic numeral centered in the middle of the squad specialty symbol indicates squad number. The colour of the Aquila or Imperialis on the chest indicates company number in accordance with Codex-approved heraldry -- i.e. White (1st Company), Yellow (2nd Company), Red (3rd Company) etc.
The Marine Exemplar's Chapter badge is a black skull with an ebon halo of seven spikes that radiate from the top like a crown. This is centred on a field of red.
- Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters (Limited Release Booklet)
- Art of Warhammer 40,000, pg. 70
- Codex: Eye of Terror (3rd Edition), pg. 16
- How to Paint Space Marines (2004), pp. 77, 89
- White Dwarf 312 (UK), "Silent Menace - Space Marine Scouts", by Andy Hoare, pg. 45
- White Dwarf 284 (US), "Humanity's Shield" (Article)
- White Dwarf 283 (US), pg. 70
- White Dwarf 281 (US), pg. 74
- Dark Creed (Novel) by Anthony Reynolds, pg. 45