- "We are the Ultramarines, the Sons of Guilliman. Whilst we draw breath, we stand. Whilst we stand, we fight. Whilst we fight, we prevail. Nothing shall stay our wrath."
Marneus Augustus Calgar is the current Chapter Master of the Ultramarines Space Marines Chapter and the Lord of Macragge, capital world of the Realm of Ultramar in the Eastern Fringes of the galaxy. Following a skirmish against the Tyranid Hive Fleet Perseus in 976.M41, Calgar lost all four limbs as well as large areas of body tissue and his left eye. Now fitted with bionic replacements, he is more machine than man.
As one might expect from an embodiment of the Ultramarine's nobility, Calgar is immune to fear and is resolutely courageous under fire; where lesser men would dive for cover when being fired upon, Marneus Calgar takes quick stock of the situation, decides the best course of action, and will only leap into cover when he deems it so. The achievements and deeds of Calgar are recorded in 28 volumes stored within a vault in the Ultramarines' fortress-monastery on Macragge, surpassed in number and magnitude only by the achievements of the Ultramarines' Primarch Roboute Guilliman. These achievements include: leading the breaching assault on the Tyranid Hive Ship Behemoth Primus, single-handedly holding the gate against an Ork Horde for a night and a day at the Siege of Zalathrax, defeating an Eldar Avatar of Khaine in single-handed combat (thus leading to the rout of Eldar forces at the Battle for Orar's Sepulchre) and recapturing the star fort Indomitable from the daemonic hordes of M'kar the Reborn, who he then supposedly cast back to the Warp with the help of the Inquisition.
However, M'kar's banishment proved to be beyond Calgar's abilities at that time. Instead, he secretly imprisoned M'kar within the Warp core of the star fort, so that any attempt by the Daemon Prince to escape into the Materium would actually pull him in the opposite direction and make his binding harder to break. Calgar then tasked half of the 5th Company of the Ultramarines as the permanent garrison of the fort, and ordered them to forever chart a secret course within the remote unmapped regions of Ultramar. Calgar's failure to banish M'kar came close to spelling disaster for Ultramar, as the daemon was freed by the Iron Warriors Warsmith Honsou and then proceeded to ally with him in a campaign to destroy the Ultramarines and their stellar empire. In the end, Calgar met the Daemon Prince on the battlefield on the Ultramaran world of Talassar, and was finally able to "annihilate" him using a strange blade known as the Shard of Erebus. In the aftermath, a chastened Calgar is said to have become a person of greater humility, however even after the disappointment at their leader's previous misrepresentations regarding M'kar, the officers and ruling masters of the Ultramarines have undiminished love and respect for the Chapter Master.
- Artificer Power Armour
- Terminator Armour (Optional) - Calgar sometimes wears the Terminator Armour of Antilochus into combat, as well as leading a unit of his personal Honour Guard.
- Gauntlets of Ultramar - The Gauntlets of Ultramar are an ancient pair of master-crafted Power Fists, accompanied by a set of ornate shoulder plates (compatible with both Artificer Power Armour and Terminator Armour) and a set of built-in Bolters that are as deadly as a Storm Bolter. The true origins of the Gauntlets are unknown; all that is known about these relics is that they were taken back from a fell Champion of Chaos by the Primarch Roboute Guilliman after the Gamalia Reclusiam Massacre, who afterwards often used them in combat. No Adeptus Mechanicus Magos of Chapter Artificer has ever succeeded in penetrating their armoured shell to examine the mechanism within. When not in use, the Gauntlets are stored within a crystal case at the Fortress of Hera, inside the Temple of Correction's Shrine of the Great Primarch.
- Iron Halo - The Iron Halo is a halo-shaped ring that is positioned above the head of the wielder, usually mounted on the backpack of Space Marine Power Armour but sometimes mounted in the gorget. The Iron Halo is a prestigious honour that is granted only to the most exceptional of the Astartes within a Space Marine Chapter as a reward for uncommon initiative and valour. An Iron Halo also produces a protective effect using gravitic and now poorly-understood Conversion Field technology.
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 16
- Codex: Space Marines (4th Edition), pp. 19, 52
- Codex: Ultramarines (2nd Edition), pg. 72
- White Dwarf 305 (US), "Purge the Alien"
- White Dwarf 97 (US), "Ultramarines," by David Wise & Rick Priestly, pp. 39-49