Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Power Scythe is a two-handed melee Power Weapon once used by some of the Space Marine Legions that seemed to disappear from Imperial use after the early Great Crusade, as the Power Scythe never established itself as an accepted weapon amongst the majority of the Legiones Astartes and was finally discontinued by Departmento Munitorum edict in the 34th Millennium. It still remains popular with the Traitor Legions of Chaos and their human allies, however, specifically amongst those who serve the Plague Lord Nurgle. A Power Scythe has a further reach than many other similarly situated Power Weapons, and its long blade can cut a swathe of deadly energy, slaying several foes in one arc.
Notable Power ScythesEdit
- Silence - Silence, to give it the macabre nickname favoured by its wielder, the Primarch Mortarion of the Death Guard Legion, is a massive two-handed battle scythe with a blade span as long as most human warriors are tall. This formidable weapon is accounted as one of the most fearsome blades wielded by any Primarch. Since Mortarion's finding by the Emperor on the world of Barbarus during the Great Crusade, there were dark whispers that the blade is of xenos-tainted origin, and some familiar with the legend of the Death Guard Primarch's early life believe it to be none other than the weapon of the terrible charnel creature that once named himself Mortarion's "father."
- Manreaper - Manreaper is a daemonic Power Scythe wielded by Typhus. It is said that even the smell of the pitted scythe can lay a mortal man low for weeks. Though Typhus has never confirmed the rumours that he dipped his weapon in Nurgle's own brew of filth, any mortal being that is touched by its blade quickly collapses into a pile of festering bone.
- Deathshroud Power Scythes - These unique heavy Power Weapons, also known as "man-reapers", were utilised by Mortarion's elite bodyguard, the Deathshroud. In concert with the Death Guard's own specialised training and martial lore, they enabled a warrior to face many times his number in battle, cutting them down like a reaper slashing through a field of ripe crops.
- Mortarion - Mortarion is the Daemon Primarch of the Death Guard Traitor Legion and his preferred weapon is a massive Power Scythe that now seethes with daemonic energies.
- Deathshroud - The Deathshroud was the cadre of elite Battle-Brothers of the Death Guard Legion who served as the Primarch Mortarion's mute bodyguards before the Horus Heresy.
- Typhus - Typhus, the Herald of Nurgle, and former First Captain of the Death Guard, makes use of a powerful daemonic Power Scythe known as the Manreaper. This weapon pays homage to his Daemon Primarch Mortarion and his own preferred usage of a similar weapon. The Manreaper takes the shape of a large scythe, and is able to cut down swathes of enemy troops with its vicious poisoned blade, allowing Typhus to wound his opponents with the hideous plagues and toxins of Nurgle with ease.
- Black Crusade Core Rulebook (RPG), pg. 165
- Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, pp. 229, 347
- The Horus Heresy - Book One: Betrayal by Alan Bligh, pg. 235
- The Horus Heresy - Book Two: Massacre by Alan Bligh, pg. 49
- Warhammer 40,000: Warlords of the Dark Millennium - Typhus, pp. 10, 22-23