The Pyre is a warband of Chaos Space Marines. The Pyre was formerly a Loyalist Space Marine Chapter given the task of fighting the Forces of Chaos around the Eye of Terror, but instead became corrupted, turning to the worship of Chaos.
It is unknown in Imperial records when this once Loyalist Chapter turned to the worship of Chaos and was declared Excommunicate Traitoris by the High Lords of Terra. The Pyre warband were first observed by Imperial forces near the Eye of Terror in 131.M41. There are no confirmed records of encounters with the warband prior to this time. Departmento Munitorum analysts have not been able to determine if the Pyre splintered from another known Chaos warband, or if they were assembled from fragments of several different groups. There are also no indications that The Pyre holds fealty to any Chaos God; instead they seek to coordinate their battles with servants of all the Dark Gods.
- Achilus Crusade (777.M41) - The Pyre has continuously plagued the Jericho Reach during the Imperium's ongoing Achilus Crusade. The Pyre’s forces have played prominent roles in several actions, particularly in the Vanity System. Oddly, though, no higher-ranking members of this warband have been positively identified. Instead, these Traitors have been seen in the company of Warp creatures and the Stigmartus, a Chaos Cult operating in the Reach. Also of note is that Pyre units have not been observed working directly with Chaos Space Marines of other warbands. Given the typically diverse types of units employed by the Forces of Chaos, this separation is inexplicable. The forces of the Achilus Crusade has faced several Strike Cruisers and a Battle Barge that bore the markings of the Pyre. These vessels were seen in the Vanity and Magog Systems, along with company-sized deployments of Pyre forces. The number of craft encountered suggests that there are at least several company-sized units of these Traitor Marines active in the Reach, but the main body of the Crusade has not yet made contact with any deployments of that size. This could mean that the Pyre’s elements are spread throughout the Salient, are being held largely in reserve, or that they are sharing their vessels with other Chaotic elements as evidenced by the known deployments.
- 13th Black Crusade (999.M41) - The 13th Black Crusade was a massive invasion of Imperial space by the Forces of Chaos led by the Warmaster Abaddon the Despoiler against the Imperial Fortress World of Cadia and the surrounding sectors. This was the largest mobilisation of both Imperial and Chaotic forces seen since the bygone days of the Horus Heresy.
Warband Combat DoctrineEdit
Though capable in melee situations and extended range engagements, The Pyre warband is known to favour short-range combat, especially in urban environments. Their devotion to Flamer weapons often dictate their tactics, as they generally eschew assault and fire support elements. Instead, they have become adept at moving through cover until such time as they can attack with deadly eldritch fire. The Pyre has been observed to coordinate their battles with servants of all the Dark Gods, which have included daemonic and Chaos Cultist elements.
- Lord Goethe Darkflame - Darkflame has been a member of the Pyre Warband for centuries. Over that time, his hatred for the Imperium and its "Corpse-Emperor" has been repeatedly fanned and now it can burst into flame in an instant. His devotion to the Dark Gods is a distant second to his ire towards those who bend their knee to the Imperium. The only facet of his personality more powerful than his burning anger is his incredible sense of self-preservation. Though he welcomes combat with those he considers beneath him, he is not too proud to retreat from any situation in which he believes the odds are not in his favour. This aspect is somewhat offset by the fact that the renegade has an exceedingly high opinion of his combat prowess.
The Pyre's Power Armour is painted orange with black trim. Since 131.M41, units wearing modified version of Pyre wargear have been observed on several occasions.
The Pyre's warband badge is an orange skull with flames protruding from its top, placed over an eight-pointed black Star of Chaos. This is all centred on a field of orange.
- Codex: Chaos Space Marines (3rd Edition, 2nd Release)
- Deathwatch: The Achilus Assault (RPG), pg. 78
- Deathwatch: The Emperor's Chosen (RPG), pg. 128