Unknown (32nd Millennium or after 926.M41, see below)
Black and White
The Sable Swords are a Loyalist Codex Astartes-compliant Space Marine Chapter of unknown origin and Founding said to be created in the latter years of the 41st Millennium, making them one of the newest Space Marine Chapters to be raised, though there is some conflicting evidence on this in the Imperial records, with some reference to the Chapter existing as early as the 32nd Millennium. This discrepancy has not yet been reconciled. The Sable Swords Chapter were created following the valiant sacrifice of the entirety of the Astral Knights Chapter to stop the threat of a massive Necron World Engine on the outskirts of the Danorra System in 926.M41. In the wake of the World Engine's destruction, the Astral Knights were struck from the roster of active Space Marine Chapters. The handful of Battle-Brothers who had not been present during the battle against the World Engine were too few to carry the burden of reconstitution. The Sable Swords Chapter was formed to fill the void and took up stewardship of the all-but abandoned Fortress-Monastery. The Sable Swords' Fortress-Monastery is located on the world of Obsidia in the Ultima Segmentum.
- The Beheading (546.M32) - The internecine politics of the Imperium take a calamitous turn when the High Lords of Terra are slain to a man at the orders of Drakan Vangorich, the Grand Master of the Officio Assassinorum. This lamentable period of history comes to be known as The Beheading. A Space Marine retribution force is drawn from the Sable Swords, Imperial Fists and Halo Brethren Chapters, who track the renegade Grand Master to an Assassinorum temple. The commander of the strike force is assassinated as soon as he makes planetfall, but the Brother Marines commence their attack nevertheless. Within the temple they are assailed by a hundred Eversor Assassins. A single Space Marine survives to reach the Grand Master and deliver the Emperor's judgement with his Bolter. The Imperium proceeds to descend into anarchy.
- Larical's Folly Campaign and the Defence of Obsidia (Unknown Date.M41) - While the bulk of the Chapter was engaged against the Eldar Swordwind on the world of Larical's Folly, the Sable Sword's homeworld of Obsidia came under assault from the Twisted Convocation, a massive Chaotic warband of mutants. The small group of Sable Swords left on Obsidia valiantly defended their homeworld, but were only saved from destruction by the heroic intervention of the Novamarines Chapter. For rendering aid, the Sable Swords swore a solemn oath of eternal debt, to one day repay the Novamarines when they needed aid.
- Cleansing of Eldritch (998.M41) - Three companies of the Sable Swords carry out an Exterminatus upon the world of Eldritch, which is discovered to be a Necron Tomb World.
- Search for Noiran (998.M41) - The Sable Swords' Captain Noiran went missing at some time in the late 41st Millennium in a skirmish with Eldar pirates in the Augran Nebula. All evidence pointed to his survival, and by 998.M41 Codicier Sundic was still searching for the missing officer.
- The Zeist Campaign (303.999.M41) - Though founded in the latter years of the 41st Millennium, the Sable Swords have swiftly proven themselves the equal of more established Space Marine Chapters with a series of decisive victories over the upstart Tau Empire. The Sable Swords heeded the call of the Ultramarines' Lord Macragge in the Eastern Fringes of the galaxy, and provided Tactical Squads to fight for the liberation of the Tau-occupied world of Augura (a staging point for the Tau forces during their Third Sphere Expansion campaign into Imperial space) during the Zeist Campaign in 999.M41.
Notable Sable SwordsEdit
- Daegan - Daegan is a Captain of the Sable Swords' 1st Company.
- Carden - Champion of the Sable Swords' 1st Company.
- Kaas - Apothecary of the Sable Swords.
The Sable Swords primarily wear black coloured Power Armour. Parts of their battle plate is white in colour, including -- the Aquila or Imperialis on the chest plate, the shoulder pad trim and both knee guards. The white coloured squad specialty symbol -- Tactical, Devastator, Assault and Veteran -- is located on the right shoulder pad. A black coloured Gothic numeral is stenciled in the centre of the squad specialty symbol, indicating squad number. The black coloured Gothic numeral stenciled on the left knee guards indicates company number.
The Sable Swords' Chapter badge is a pair of white coloured crossed swords, the points of the swords pointing downwards, on a field of black.
Canon Conflict over FoundingEdit
The Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition) indicates the Sable Swords were Founded in the 41st Millennium, but the Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition Rulebook states they participated in the hunt for Vanorich in the 32nd Millennium. It is possible that there were two different Chapters named the Sable Swords at different times, though the conflict has not yet been resolved.
- Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters (Limited Release Booklet)
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pp. 28, 30, 40, 44-45, 48-49
- How to Paint Space Marines
- Imperial Armour Volume Nine - The Badab War - Part One, pg. 118
- Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook (5th Edition), pg. 124
- Obsidian (Short Story) by Graham McNeill