A Smart Missile System is an advanced Tau weapon system that fires clusters of small missiles, each guided by a Drone processor unit built into its warhead, intended for use against masses of enemy infantry, particularly those hiding in cover. Upon their launch, the "Smart Missiles" will search for targets within sensor range before selecting and engaging one based on criteria previously detailed by the weapon's operator. These targets do not have to be within line of sight of the operator, as once the target has been acquired, the missiles are able to effectively home in on it, manoeuvring their thrusters to propel them around any intervening terrain as they hunt the enemy down to an explosive conclusion.
Smart Missiles are also used as the submunition explosives inside Submunition Missiles.
Notable Users of the Smart Missile SystemEdit
- XV81 Crisis Battlesuit – The XV81 Crisis Battlesuit is a variant of the standard XV8 Crisis Battlesuit that is armed with a shoulder-mounted Smart Missile System.
- XV88 Broadside Battlesuit – XV88 Broadside Battlesuits are armed with twin-linked Smart Missile Systems as their standard secondary weapon. This armament is designed to offset the inability of an XV88's primary weapon to fire effectively on the move.
- XV104 Riptide Battlesuit – XV104 Riptide Battlesuits can be armed with twin-linked Smart Missile Systems as a secondary weapon system.
- KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour - KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour mounts two Smart Missile Sytems as part of its Vigilance Defence System.
- Devilfish – Devilfish transports can be armed with twin-linked Smart Missile Systems as their front cupola secondary weapon systems.
- Hammerhead – Hammerhead gunships can be armed with twin-linked Smart Missile Systems as their front cupola secondary weapon systems.
- Stingray – Stingray missile gunship are armed with twin-linked Smart Missile Systems as their front cupola secondary weapon systems as standard.
- Skyray – Skyray gunships can be armed with twin-linked Smart Missile Systems as their front cupola secondary weapon system. The Smart Missile System is an especially popular choice with these vehicles as it provides a high degree of close-range protection. As Seeker Missiles do not need a line of sight to an enemy painted with a Marker Light, a Skyray can make maximum use of cover to hide itself and avoid exposure to enemy fire.
- Codex: Tau (3rd Edition), pp. 17, 19, 30, 31
- Codex: Tau Empire (4th Edition), pg. 27, 36, 40-41,
- Codex: Tau Empire (6th Edition), pg. 42, 45, 51, 66, 100, 103
- Epic Armageddon - Tau Army List Version 4.4, pg. 11
- Imperial Armour Volume Three - The Taros Campaign, pp. 162, 166, 170, 174, 177
- Rogue Trader: Tau Character Guide (RPG), pg. 38
- Forge World - KX139 Ta'unar Supremacy Armour Experimental Datasheet