The Stalker, also known as the Whirlwind Stalker, is a specialised, mobile anti-air platform and variant of the Whirlwind Hunter, itself a variant of the Whirlwind Artillery Tank. The Stalker is an adaptation of the Hunter Standard Template Construct (STC) that was unearthed by the Adeptus Mechanicus only a few millennia ago. Mounting a pair of independently tracking Icarus Stormcannons, the Stalker can target multiple enemy contacts, stitching the skies with a hail of armour-piercing death. The Stalker is a relatively new addition to the armouries of the Adeptus Astartes, having only been put into production relatively recently since its STC data was rediscovered only several millennia ago. The Stalker is a vital part of a Space Marine Chapter's armoury and it is deployed as a rapid-firing anti-aircraft platform that is able to track and engage multiple enemy targets simultaneously. The Stalker's front and flank armour is thicker than most other Rhino-chassis-based vehicles, allowing the Stalker to deflect or absorb more incoming enemy fire. The Stalker's sides also feature hydraulic stabilisers that anchor the vehicle to the ground so that when it fires its anti-aircraft artillery it suffers no recoil and loss of accuracy.
The Stalker is an anti-air variant of the standard Astartes Whirlwind Artillery Tank. The Stalker replaces the Whirlwind's Whirlwind Multiple Missile Launcher with an Icarus Stormcannon Array. Unsubtle and devastating, the Icarus Stormcannons are a twinned array of multi-barrelled ballistic cannons that have the capacity to track multiple targets at once. Each cannon is shackled to separate servo-minds that direct the cannon independently of each other. The weapons can fire upon separate targets, or if needed they can both fire upon the same target. Each salvo fired from the Stormcannons fills the air with hundreds of rounds of ammunition that are capable of tearing even the greatest winged Tyranid beast or potent enemy flyer from the sky. The Stalker can also be outfitted with dozer blades, extra armour plating, a Hunter-Killer Missile Launcher, improved communications equipment, a Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter, a searchlight, and smoke launchers.
The Stalker is capable of unleashing its Stormcannons in two different firing modes depending on the situation, as follows:
- Single Target Mode - The Stalker concentrates both its Stormcannons at the same target, and the weapons act as if they were twin-linked, firing in tandem. This sheer concentration of fire can bring down even the heaviest of enemy flyers.
- Dual Target Mode - The Stalker is capable of firing its Stormcannons independently of one another, each firing upon a different target at the same time. This reduces the sheer amount of damage that can be inflicted upon a single target but allows the Stalker to engage multiple targets effectively.
Adeptus Mechanicus Technical SpecificationsEdit
|Vehicle Name:||Whirlwind Stalker||Main Armament:||Turret-mounted Icarus Stormcannon Array|
|Forge World of Origin:||Unknown||Secondary Armament:||N/A|
|Known Patterns:||Unknown||Traverse:||360 degrees|
|Crew:||1 Driver, 1 Gunner||Elevation:||0 to 55 degrees|
|Powerplant:||Quad MkII Adaptable Thermic Combustor Reactor||Main Ammunition:||Unknown|
|Weight:||33 Tonnes (Approx.)||Secondary Ammunition:||N/A|
|Length:||6.6 metres (Approx.)||Armour:|
|Width:||4.5 metres (Approx.)|
|Height:||5.0 metres (Approx.)||Superstructure:||Unknown|
|Ground Clearance:||0.44 metres (Approx.)||Hull:||Unknown|
|Max Speed On-Road:||Unknown||Gun Mantlet:||N/A|
|Max Speed Off-Road:||Unknown||Vehicle Designation:||Unknown|
|Transport Capacity:||N/A||Firing Ports:||N/A|
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pp. 100-101, 121, 176
- White Dwarf (September 2013) - Space Marine Stalker
- Games Workshop - Whirlwind Stalker / Hunter
- Warhammer 40,000: Munitorum - Stalkers and Hunters (Digital Edition)
- Warhammer 40,000: Index Astartes - Volume I (Digital Edition)