The Storm Giants is a Loyalist Codex Astartes-compliant Chapter of Space Marines created during an unknown Founding. Its origins remain unknown, though many savants suspect that it is a Successor Chapter of the Salamanders of Nocturne.
Almost nothing is known about the Storm Giants' origins, save that they were created at some point after the Second Founding. Many scholars point at their similarities in physique, markings and tactical dogma with Chapters such as the Salamanders and Black Dragons to suggest they may be descended from the Primarch Vulkan's gene-seed.
- Second Purging of Lastrati (543.M36) - During the so-called Second Purging of Lastrati, the Storm Giants' 1st Company and several Tactical Squads and Vindicators were sent to support Marshal Gervhart and his Black Templars as they purged the planet of Lastrati upon discovering a purity cult, called the Divine Army, had turned to blood rituals in worship of the Blood God Khorne.
- Third War for Armageddon (998.M41) - The Ork Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka led the third invasion of the Segmentum Solar Hive World of Armageddon in 998.M41 during what became known as the Third War for Armageddon. The Storm Giants sent 5 companies in support of the Imperial defenders on Armageddon.
The Storm Giants are organised in accordance with the tenets of the Codex Astartes.
Chapter Combat Doctrine
Being a Codex-compliant Chapter, the Storm Giants can adapt to any circumstance that may occur on the battlefield. Nevertheless, many scholars have found similarities in their tactical tendencies to those of the Salamanders and Black Dragons -- a preference for close-range firefights.
During the Second Purging of Lastrati, their Tactical Squads worked in concert with their Vindicators to assault the enemy defence lines, executing a 4-stage combat formation -- first, the Vindicator would launch a preparatory artillery strike, while a demi-squad of 5 Astartes gave covering fire to its left and another made a rapid advance to its right. Then, the Vindicator would fall back as the Tactical Marines kept advancing and blocking its line of fire, and the Astartes would storm the enemy position, first from the right, then from the left. Once the defence line was overrun and both demi-squads were ready to begin this process again, the Vindicator would quickly advance and provide suppression fire.
The Storm Giants have long been suspected of being a Successor Chapter of the Salamanders due to their similar physiques. It is unclear whether they have the same tendency to develop ebony skin, which is due to the mutation in the DNA of the Salamanders' Melanochrome gene-seed organ.
The Storm Giants primarily wear tan Power Armour. The inset of the right shoulder guard and the Aquila are red. The white squad specialty symbol on the right shoulder guard designates operational specialty -- Tactical, Devastator, Assault or Veteran. A black Roman numeral is stenciled on the centre of the squad specialty symbol which indicates squad number. No company markings are displayed.
The Storm Giants' Chapter badge is a stylised red thunderbolt, pointing upwards and centred on a field of tan.
- Adeptus Astartes: Successor Chapters (Limited Released Booklet)
- Codex: Armageddon (3rd Edition), pg. 18
- Imperial Armour Volume Two - Space Marines and Forces of the Inquisition, pp. 74, 181
- Insignium Astartes: The Uniforms and Regalia of the Space Marines, pg. 63
- White Dwarf 249 (UK), "Index Astartes - Emperor's Shield"