Second Founding (31st Millennium)
Red, White, Yellow & Black
- "There is no greater glory than being first warrior to spill the foe's blood."
- — Sergeant Vayren, Storm Lords 3rd Company
The Storm Lords are a Loyalist Space Marines Chapter and a very rare Second Founding Successor Chapter created from the gene-seed of the White Scars. The Storm Lords have always maintained a strong sense of rivalry with the White Scars. They frequently compete with their forebears for glory, and have been known to go to reckless lengths in order to emerge victorious.
As Second Founding successors of the White Scars Chapter, the Storm Lords can trace their history back to a time when Jaghatai Khan hunted across the stars. The Storm Lords were Founded in the wake of the tragic events of the Horus Heresy in the early 31st Millennium. Their gene-seed was derived from the gene-stocks of the White Scars, who famously defended the Imperial Palace during the Battle of Terra in the closing days of the Horus Heresy. Sharing their forefather's battle lust and aggressive style of lightning warfare, the Storm Lords have ever sought to best the deeds of their progenitors, and the two Chapters often compete on the field of battle to amass the greater glory. Since those bygone days, the Storm Lords have amassed a long list of battle honours, serving the Divine Emperor for over ten millennia. The Storm Lords are particularly renowned for the ferocity with which they hunt Ork WAAAGH!s; the walls of the feasting halls within their fortress-monastery are covered in the scalps of slain Warbosses. Brotherhoods (Companies) of the Storm Lords have recently deployed to the beleaguered world of Armageddon, where their Land Speeder squadrons have earned the honour of drawing first blood against Warboss Deffdrekka's Speed Freeks, much to the chagrin of the White Scars.
- The Death of the Witching Moon (013.M41) - The Forge Moon of Keziah, in the strategically vital Agathon System, falls into an unnatural eclipse which its population is driven to murder and madness in an endless night of horror. The dread forces of the The Tenebrae and Company of Misery reign as dark kings amid the nightmare, and the baleful light of the "Witching Moon" that Keziah has become spreads calamity and warp-tainted phenomena wherever it now falls, threatening the entire star system. The first Imperial attacks by the Astra Militarum, squadrons from Battlefleet Ultima and the Inquisition are hurled back in tatters by the madness of the black light and the warp-fuelled savagery of the defenders. It is only by the unexpected arrival of the Charnel Guard Chapter, accompanied by a sacred band of Adepta Sororitas Order of the Black Sepulchre bearing the holy relic known as the Book of Tears before them, that the imminent loss of tens of billions of lives on Agathon Prime is prevented, and the insanity-inducing radiance of the Witching Moon is held back. The Charnel Guard lead a fresh assault as further Adeptus Astartes, including the Storm Lords, Iron Hands and Angels Porphyr, and Adeptus Mechanicus reinforcements arrive, fighting a brutal battle of tank and gunship clashes across the soaring metal canyons which raze the moon's surface and chamber-by-chamber Zone Mortalis actions to purge Keziah of the shadow that has befallen it. The Chaos Astartes inflict fearful losses on their besiegers before they are driven into the deeper darkness of the Warp. In the wake of their retreat, all life is purged from Keziah before it is given back to the hands of the Machine Cult for tech-exorcism and eventual reclamation.
- The Blackfist Scalping (882.M41) - The White Scars joined forces with two of their Successor Chapters, the Storm Lords and Solar Hawks, to combat WAAAGH! Blackfist on the Agri-world of Lycelle. Competition between the three Chapters is fierce, with each trying to outdo the battlefield deeds of the others in the name of Jaghatai Khan.
- The Retaking of Rynn's World (Late 990.M41) - The Storm Lords participated in the effort, alongside units from 5 other Space Marine Chapters and elements of the Imperial Guard and the Imperial Navy, to free the Crimson Fists Chapter's homeworld of Rynn's World from the Orks of WAAAGH! Snagrod 18 months after the Orks overran that Agri-World in the Loki Sector.
- Third War for Armageddon (998.M41) - The Storm Lords committed two Brotherhoods of Space Marines to the defence of the Segmentum Solar Hive World of Armageddon where they fought alongside the Salamanders Chapter and their own genetic forebears, the White Scars to free that world from the grip of the Orks of WAAAGH! Ghazghkull.
There is conflicting information in Imperial records as to the Chapter's organisation: some sources claim it is a fully Codex Astartes-compliant Chapter with the helmet being painted in the company color, while sources claim it follows the White Scars' atypical division into "Brotherhoods" rather than companies in which case the Chapter's helmet colours are an unknown quantity. The truth of the Storm Lords Chapter organisation remains unrevealed, though the Chapter is known to have some preference for the use of fast-moving vehicles like Assault Bikes and Land Speeders, just like the White Scars.
Notable Storm LordsEdit
- Sergeant Balzach - Despite his current status as the bloody-handed Chaos Lord of the Skulltakers Chaos Space Marine Warband, Zhufor "the Butcher of Vraks," was once known as Balzach, a Sergeant of the Storm Lords Space Marine Chapter. Balzach was captured by members of the World Eaters Traitor Legion and converted into a traitorous killing machine using a mix of drugs, torture, and psycho-corrective surgery. Since his conversion, Zhufor has lost all memory of his past life as a loyal servant of the God-Emperor .
The Storm Lords Power Armor is painted in a halved colour scheme; the right side is entirely red whilst the left side is white. The helmet colour denotes company designation (i.e. 2nd Company - Yellow, 3rd Company - Maroon, 4th Company - Green, etc.). The backpack, Aquila or Imperialis on the breastplate is primarily black. The white-coloured squad specialty symbol (Tactical, Assault, Devastator, or Veteran) is indicated on the right shoulder guard whilst the Chapter iconography is painted on the left shoulder guard. Squad designation is indicated by a white-coloured Gothic numeral painted directly in the centre of the squad specialty symbol or to either side of it. Veteran status is displayed through laurels of a contrasting colour.
The Chapter's badge is a skull superimposed over three lightning bolts in a triangular pattern, the traditional tribal markings of their forebears' nomadic tribes on the White Scars' Chapter homeworld of Mundus Planus.
- Codex: Space Marines (7th Edition) (Digital Edition), pg. 136
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition), pp. 8, 14, 39, 77, 143
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pg. 8
- Codex: Space Marines (3rd Edition), pg. 47
- Codex: Armageddon (3rd Edition), pg. 18
- How To Pain Space Marines (2004), pg. 81
- Imperial Armour Volume Thirteen - War Machines of the Lost & The Damned, pg. 23