- "Forget all your preconceptions of war, of battle lines clashing on the churned ground. Your mission is to attack before the foe even realises that the war has begun, to strike hard at those vital weaknesses that all armies possess, but that no commander will admit to. Under my tutelage you will learn how to seek out such fragilities and smite them with every weapon at your disposal. Master these duties and I will have nothing more to teach. You will truly be a Space Marine."
- — Sergeant Torias Telion, Ultramarines 10th Company, addressing the Neophytes under his charge.
Torias Telion is a Veteran Sergeant in the Ultramarines Space Marine Chapter, assigned to the Chapter's 10th Scout Company. Telion is an incomparable instructor of new Ultramarines recruits. No less than four currently serving Ultramarines Captains attribute their skills and success within the Chapter's hierarchy to the peerless tutelage of this esteemed warrior when they were Neophytes. Telion is most famous for his unparalleled skill as a marksman and sniper amongst the ranks of the Astartes.
Telion has served under the command of three successive Chapter Masters and has trod more battlefields across the width and breadth of the galaxy than most senior Captains within the Chapter. Despite having earned the honour of serving within the Chapter's Honor Guard several times over, as well as the Iron Skull, the Imperial Laurel and a dozen Marksman's Honour badges, Telion has, nevertheless, elected to remain with the Novice Scout Marines of the 10th Company. In this way he is able to lead by example and experience, forging future warriors and matchless leaders for the Ultramarines Chapter.
The Veteran Sergeant has mastered all of the martial disciplines of the Space Marines over the course of his three Terran centuries of service, and has earned fully two-score battlefield commendations. He has faced Mankind's most fearsome enemies during his tenure and found each of them wanting in turn. He is a master of the arts of close combat, armed or otherwise, and few gambits involving the use of brute force or even the most elegant skill can penetrate the sergeant's guard or provide defence against his unerring return blows.
But no matter how skilled he is in melee, Torias Telion is an unsurpassed warrior when at range, able to naturally compensate for the effects of wind or gravity like few other marksmen alive. Two of his Marksman's Honour badges were earnt for such feats as occurred during the Siege of Pallia, where Telion removed both the Tau Commander and the member of the Tau Ethereal Caste leading an invasion force of Tau with a pair of shots from his Bolter at extreme long range. Though much of this skill is innate, a blend of Telion's own talent with the power of the gene-seed, under his expert guidance even the rawest Novice Scout Marine's marksmanship abilities can reach a level of expertise that is on a par with that of the most experienced Captain.
The legends and feats attributed to this Veteran Sergeant have forged his legend within the ranks of the Adeptus Astartes. Indeed, the Ultramarines have seconded Telion to other Space Marines Chapters allied with his own, where his expert guidance and teachings enable other Astartes to achieve a unique level of knowledge and skills that will help them spread the light of the Emperor to the darkest corners of the galaxy.
During the Plague Wars that stained Ultramar, Telion was forced to lead his entire Scout Company to hold off a Death Guard attack upon the Chapter’s training academy. To the selfless Telion it was just another action borne of duty, but the tale of his victory has become well known to every Battle-Brother of the Ultramarines.
Telion makes use of all the wargear appropriate for a Veteran Scout Marines Sergeant. However, his preferred weapon is a Stalker Pattern Bolter loaded with silenced shells so that he can make use of his extraordinary marksmanship skills at any time.
- Codex Adeptus Astartes - Space Marines (8th Edition), pg. 99
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pp. 40, 75, 88, 118
- Codex: Tyranids (5th Edition), pp. 13, 57
- Assault on Black Reach (Novel) by Nick Kyme
- The Chapter's Due (Novel) by Graham McNeill
- Eye of Vengeance (Audio Book) by Graham McNeill
- The Beast of Calth (Short Story) by Graham McNeill