Imported from the Scarus Sector for use as heavy naval Escorts during the early days of the Angevin Crusade, the handful of Turbulent-class Heavy Frigates surviving in the Calixis Sector never returned, some say because they found the tumultuous Calixian region more to their tastes. Intended to drive ahead of the main fleet and engage rival scouting units when encountered, the history of the Turbulent class has been characterised by aggressive and piratical actions against the Emperor's foes.
Although rare, the Turbulent has gained a reputation as a "lucky" class. Turbulents have participated in many of the most glorious naval actions of the sector, whilst coincidentally either surviving or not being involved at all in the most disastrous. Some armchair admirals dismiss the Turbulent, citing its comparatively inefficient energy weapon transfer systems and deriding its antiquated internal communication network of brass vacuum pipes and electric lights. However such mockery is best done behind closed doors, as several of the senior admirals in Battlefleet Calixis served aboard these feisty ships.
- Hull: Heavy Escort
- Class: Turbulent-class Heavy Frigate
- Dimensions: Approximately 1.9 kilometres long, 0.3 kilometres abeam at fins.
- Mass: Approximately 7.5 megatonnes.
- Crew: Approximately 25,000 crew.
- Acceleration: 4.3 gravities maximum sustainable acceleration.
- Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus (RPG), pg. 27