The Ultramarines 2nd Company, known as the "Guardians of the Temple," is the most famous and honoured Battle Company of the Ultramarines Space Marine Chapter. In the parallel Warhammer 40,000 universe in which the video game Space Marine takes place, the 2nd Company was commanded by Captain Titus, a great hero of the Ultramarines who is most well-known for the central role he played in the Liberation of Graia, a Forge World that was assaulted by the forces of both the Orks and the Chaos Space Marines. In the standard Warhammer 40,000 universe, the 2nd Company is currently commanded by Captain Cato Sicarius.
Company Order of BattleEdit
The Ultramarines 2nd Company in 999.M41 is led by the Command Squad known as the "Lions of Macragge". This squad includes the following members:
- Captain Cato Sicarius - In addition to being captain of 2nd Company, Cato Sicarius has several other titles including Master of the Watch, Knight Champion of Macragge and Grand Duke of Talassar.
- Chaplain Elianu Trajan - Chaplain Trajan has been a member of the 2nd Company since 901.M41.
- Veteran Sergeant Daceus
- Apothecary Venatio
- Honoured Brother Gaius Prabian
- Brother Vandius - Brother Vandius is the company's Standard Bearer.
- Brother Malcian
The 2nd Company is comprised of 6 Tactical Squads:
- Squad Vandar - Also known as "The Victors", Squad Vandar is noted for having the youngest recipient for an Iron Halo. This was awarded to Veteran Sergeant Vandar for tactical brilliance during the Tamari Rebellions in 929.M41.
- Squad Octavian - Squad Octavian has earnt a total of fifteen Markman's Honour badges for their precision. They are also known as the "Swords of Judgement".
- Squad Solinus - Nicknamed "The Indomitable", squad Solinus was first into the breach after captain Sicarius at the retaking of Fort Telrendar. For this they earnt Victorex Maxima honours.
- Squad Manorian - Known as "The Shield Bearers", squad Manorian is used in the vanguard during chapter and company level assaults.
- Squad Vorolanus - Squad Vorolanus is used for reconnaissance and deep strike missions when Scout squads are unavailable. They are known as "The Thunderbolts".
- Squad Fennion - Squad Fennion is known as "The Immortals" due to the fact that they haven't taken a single loss since 829.M41.
There are 2 Assault Squads in the 2nd Company:
- Squad Ixion - Squad Ixion is known for having honed their fighting skills against Hive Fleets Leviathan, Kraken and Jormungandr as they seek vengeance for the Ultramarines' losses at the Battle of Macragge. For this, they are known as "Macragge's Avengers."
- Squad Strabo - Squad Strabo is responsible for the death of Ork Warboss Bonehamma on the Hive World of Selonopolis. They are known as "The Heroes of Selonopolis."
There are two Devastator Squads in the 2nd Company:
- Squad Tirian - Also known as "Guilliman's Hammer" Squad Tirian is known for their unwavering conduct in battle.
- Squad Atavian - Squad Atavian is responsible for the destruction of the Renegade Titan Soulmauler. For this they were awarded the Principes Maxima and the nickname "The Titan Slayers"
The 2nd Company has two Dreadnoughts:
- Brother Agnathio - Agnathio was interred within Dreadnought armour in 141.M36 after the Fall of Chundrabad.
- Brother Ultracius - Ultracius was interred inside the shell of a Dreadnought after the Pyra Crusades in 453.M39.
In the animated film Ultramarines, the current commander of the 2nd Company is stated to be Captain Severus, while in the parallel Warhammer 40,000 Universe, titled Space Marine, the commander is Captain Titus. But in Games Workshop tabletop wargame and novel canon, the current Captain of the Ultramarines 2nd Company is Captain Cato Sicarius. This has led to some controversy about which captain to feature in Ultramarines armies and about the timing of each captain's leadership of the 2nd Company in the late 41st Millennium.
- Codex: Space Marines (6th Edition) (Digital Edition), pp. 50-58
- Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), pp. 18-19
- Warhammer 40,000: Rulebook (6th Edition), pg. 394
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Video Game)