The Viper Legion is one of the Loyalist Space Marine Chapters founded as part of the Astartes Praeses -- one of the 20 Chapters of Astartes mentioned in the ancient tome known as the Mythos Angelica Mortis -- that was created to defend the regions surrounding the Eye of Terror in the Segmentum Obscurus from the Forces of Chaos. The Viper Legion is of an unknown Founding and origin. Almost nothing is known about this Chapter in Imperial records except that it is based in the Aurelius System.
- The Bifrost Uprising (Unknown Date.M41) - When Chaos-led insurgents succeeded in corrupting several regiments of Bifrost Huscarls, the Viper Legion deployed in limited numbers to Bifrost. To maximise its effectiveness, the Viper Legion placed some of its members at the head of smaller detachments of PDF and Imperial Guard regiments. The Viper Legion would be reinforced by the Minotaurs Chapter, whose intervention would ultimately lead to the Bifrost Incident. Having been awarded brevet command of a detachment of loyalist Huscarls during the extermination of the Traitor 2-19th Regiment, Sergeant Augustine encountered a blood-covered and damaged Dreadnought he mistook for an engine dedicated to the Ruinous Powers. Opening fire on what he believed was the enemy, his target proved in fact to be Hecaton Aiakos, a Dreadnought of the Minotaurs Chapter. Thus provoked, Aiakos charged and massacred 37 Huscarls, a Leman Russ and Augustine himself before being ordered to stop.
Notable Viper LegionariesEdit
- Sergeant Augustine (Deceased) - The ill-fated Sergeant Augustine was killed by the Minotaurs Dreadnaught Hecaton Aiakos during the Bifrost Incident.
The Viper Legion's Chapter colours are not listed in current Imperial records.
The Viper Legion's Chapter badge is not listed in current Imperial records.
- Redemption Corps (Novel) by Rob Sanders
- Architect of Fate (Anthology) by Sarah Cawkwell, Ben Counter, Darius Hinks, and John French
- Imperial Armour Volume Twelve : The Fall of Orpheus, pg. 147